Thinking of getting serpae or columbian tetras as dithers, but can't decide on which

What tetra should I go with for dithers?

• Total voters

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Need some help deciding on whether I should get serpae or columbian tetras as dithers for a marbled hrp.
I like them both equally. (quite literally, they're both pretty much the same, only difference being appearance, and serpae tetras are a little hardier.)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I've kept both.
I used columbians as dithers for medium sized cichlids. they are great fish, Mine lived to be about 5-7 before they dropped of old age.

Serpaes are like 1" piranhas and will rip a fly to shreds if you drop any dead insects in the aquarium, fun to watch but can be mean to tankmates

As an interesting alternative, why not try Black Phantom tetras.
I have a group of 7 right now in a planted 20g.
theyre still small but right now but theyre beginning to show some real beauty, a pretty uncommonly kept species.
The females are a sublte red whilst the males are blue black with large anal and dorsal fins that make them almost boomerang shaped when they extend them. Males have an irridescant blue spot on their side.

They are in the Serpae family of fishes, they arent huge *******s like serpae tetras.
If you like serpaes but dont want *******s that will nip everything and chase other fish if not kept in a large enough group, give the phantom a try.
There is even a red phantom tetra

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
ok just so everyone else that comes to this thread knows:
I decided I'm gonna go with some variatus platies.
They add more color, eat algae, and they're from the same place as HRP's.
I should make a new post on this.

Reactions: Tony A.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store