Thinning out

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
So its come to this.. Seven Dats, 5 inches to 3inches, 2 small red Oscars and a 3.5 in Jardini in a 135g. I got a package deal on the Dats that's why so many. I have a divider in with Dats separated so I can take a good look at color and characteristics. Seems the one 5in that has best color is a passive one that was always bullied. also a 3in one that has awesome color. Is it best to keep dark and aggressive or good color and passive. The Jardini is trying to rule the tank and I know as he gets bigger he will. What's the formula for choosing which Dats to keep, or should I keep all seven. I put the Oscars and Jardini in to living up the tank cause the Dats are hiding with lights on. Took all hiding places out.. helped a little. I've had the Dats for a year now .. Started out as a Datnoid only tank but the Oscars and Jardini are active and I like the movement. Would seven Dats be too many in a 135?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So its come to this.. Seven Dats, 5 inches to 3inches, 2 small red Oscars and a 3.5 in Jardini in a 135g. I got a package deal on the Dats that's why so many. I have a divider in with Dats separated so I can take a good look at color and characteristics. Seems the one 5in that has best color is a passive one that was always bullied. also a 3in one that has awesome color. Is it best to keep dark and aggressive or good color and passive. The Jardini is trying to rule the tank and I know as he gets bigger he will. What's the formula for choosing which Dats to keep, or should I keep all seven. I put the Oscars and Jardini in to living up the tank cause the Dats are hiding with lights on. Took all hiding places out.. helped a little. I've had the Dats for a year now .. Started out as a Datnoid only tank but the Oscars and Jardini are active and I like the movement. Would seven Dats be too many in a 135?

Yes depending on the species of Datnoid 7 may be too many for the 135 gallon.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Jardini says "7 dats enter... none leave..."

Just saying the jardini will most likely start going on a rampage at some point. Some people get lucky and have a calm one but that's never been my luck with them

Reactions: tlindsey and Durio

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Jardini says "7 dats enter... none leave..."

Just saying the jardini will most likely start going on a rampage at some point. Some people get lucky and have a calm one but that's never been my luck with them
You’re right.. noticed the Jardini unlike Silver Arowanas was hanging around the bottom getting close to smaller indo dats and a big dat would chase him off.. One time he grabbed my smallest Dat and they were spinning and rolling around till jardini let him go. Then I noticed my pleco who I rarely see was all tore up. Well he’s gone now.. along with 4 Dats. Added a couple Frontosas

Reactions: tlindsey

rigby

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2020
You’re right.. noticed the Jardini unlike Silver Arowanas was hanging around the bottom getting close to smaller indo dats and a big dat would chase him off.. One time he grabbed my smallest Dat and they were spinning and rolling around till jardini let him go. Then I noticed my pleco who I rarely see was all tore up. Well he’s gone now.. along with 4 Dats. Added a couple Frontosas
The frontosas will probably suffer the same fate..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store