Thoughts on species tank

Dodger77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2018
hi folks, I’m in a quandary on what to do with my aquarium. It’s 4.5’ x 2 x 2.5 high. I currently have a pair of jack Dempsey, a dwarf red pike, a catfish And some large tetra shoaling fish. I really fancy a change going for something a little odd ball and big but obviously not too big for the tank. Just a pair or even a single fish. I thought about an Oscar but feel my tank would be on the small side when fully grown. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I think itd be great for an oscar, even a pair. Other options are amphilophus, vieja, festae, hoplarchus, or crenicichla. Lots of options for a pair in that size tank imo.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
This is always a tough thing for people to answer. To really be of any value we need to know more about what you want out of your tank. Do you want an interactive fish? What are you interested in most?

Reactions: Fat Homer

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If it was my tank and I was going for a species tank then I’d go with a large-ish catfish species, gulper catfish are nice and you could have a few of them in there.

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
If you don't want a community you can do red devils. They are super personable and fun.

Another great option would be a pair of Nicaraguans. They are a little harder to find but they are really nice and easy to breed.

Dodger77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for your thoughts. Over many years of fish keeping I have done community tanks, Angels, Mbuna etc. Up to what I have now in the largest tank I have ever owned and now no chance to go bigger as it’s in a wall. I enjoy my jacks but there constant breeding is quite annoying but I have to say my fav is my atabo 2 pike it’s ace and it is the one fish I would like to keep but if he has to go then so be it. I really like the thought of an Oscar but like I said I think from a personal point of view i would want one in a larger tank. Lots to think about though, thank you it’s making for some great reading

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Reactions: Dodger77
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store