Three Small Cichlid Tanks

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My plans for reorganizing the fish have changed somewhat since I decided to keep the Mono sebae, and they are going to go in a 125 gallon saltwater tank where the Africans are now. This will be my first real saltwater tank ever, so I am not going to raise any delicate corals.

I'm showing this tank in the thread called "first big DIY systems". It is ordered and should be here within a week. Maybe two because they have to drill it at the factory.

This is a glass tank by Vizio. It's going to have an external sump and I'm going to have to do some remodeling work to get that all set up, so at first it will be brackish and operate on two Aqueon 75 HOBs, and two big Bacto-surge sponge filters in tank.

It will be like that for a while cuz I have to do some Roofing work on my house, tear down the chimney I am removing, and build some exterior accommodations for the saltwater sump.

I am going to split up the mixed cichlids and put them into a 55 and a 30 back in my office. I need to build the stand for that 55.

Felix is getting a custom acrylic 75 in the foyer and I will enlarge his sump to at least 20 gallons. His 55 will go on the opposite side of the wall from the saltwater tank to serve as its sump. That tank should be here in 4 weeks.

Last edited:

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
OK, all those tanks are moved. All 7 of 8, plus 8 stands and 3 sumps too. This is what landed in my office so far.
15578787036321516290758.jpg

Felix's new tank is here! He's gonna be soooo happy.
20190514_143033.jpg

Of course he won't let me know that. He'll be flaring and wagging. He won't enjoy being moved at all.

I saw three baby fry in the moving process and I am so happy to see they survived. I gave them plenty of cover in the past so they wouldn't be eaten.
20190514_150335.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Just for the record this is the current stocking:

Two 3" convicts ( Fish and Chips)
One 4" in bristlenose pleco (Rhino)
Two 4" USD cat (Whiskers1&2)
One 4" golden mbuna (Maynard)
One 4" mixed mbuna fem (Leeloo)
FIVE (so far surviving) of her fry!
One 5" Yellow Lab (Sunflower)
One 5" mixed peacock (Photon)
One 5" mixed mbuna (Voodoo)
One 6" blue hap (Cromwell)
One 6" yellow hap (Buttercup)
He was the mate of Leeloo and King of the tank.
What are usd catfish?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My 30 std was retired yesterday, and Mojo went with the rest of the cichlids, in the 55. I actually had Photon in a 20g, so there were always 4 small cichlid tanks, but now there are two: The 55 and the 55 Oscar.

But I'm going to pull Leeloo out of the 55 tank as she is the only female cichlid and put her in her own 20.

there's a little aggression in cichlid tank but not so much as I would expect and yet I think it will be less without leeloo.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I never did remove Leeloo. I ended up moving all the cichlids to one new 125 g tank, except Felix the Oscar in the new 75. Also Photon the dull peacock and the 2 convicts are now in the 55g patio tank, which was my old Oscar tank.

I still have 3 cichlid tanks (55, 75, 125) and in the 125 Leeloo and Buttercup have raised 7 healthy fry, now 2" to 3" long. They are hybrids of hybrids and so total mutts, but they are healthy and active and growing rapidly.

The 125 was to be the new brackish tank, but it made more sense to put the cichlids there.

I bought new decorations for the 125, & I will post new photos when I get them arranged.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I never did remove Leeloo. I ended up moving all the cichlids to one new 125 g tank, except Felix the Oscar in the new 75. Also Photon the dull peacock and the 2 convicts are now in the 55g patio tank, which was my old Oscar tank.

I still have 3 cichlid tanks (55, 75, 125) and in the 125 Leeloo and Buttercup have raised 7 healthy fry, now 2" to 3" long. They are hybrids of hybrids and so total mutts, but they are healthy and active and growing rapidly.

The 125 was to be the new brackish tank, but it made more sense to put the cichlids there.

I bought new decorations for the 125, & I will post new photos when I get them arranged.
Yeah i usually have big new plans for my upgrades but always just end up shifting my existing stock into them.

• Haha
Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The brackish fish, which were going in the 125, are in the old African 55, in my office. I'm running a 20g sump, and it's not full SW yet, since the monos are young, and I still have guppies and mollies.
55.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store