Three typs of ceramic media

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Hi guys i just got some stuff out of storage and in that was a bag of mixed ceramic media. There seems to be 3 different types. The one in the left and the middle one seen to be the most porous and the right one is almost smooth. Would i be right in saying the left and middle one were better media then the right.... Is it even worth using the stuff on the right?P1010050.JPG

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I think it's worth using, unless you have very limited space for bio media. I use a bunch of the type that's on the right because that is what you typically get when you buy the cheap stuff on Amazon or EBay. I've never had any problems with it. The stuff in the middle looks the best, and looks like the stuff you get from Fluval. It's quite pricey though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I should clarify, I do use all three, but the majority of what I use is the smoother looking stuff on the right. If you look close, it is porous, but I can see it becoming easily clogged.

I totally agree with you.☺ I toss media bags of them in my sump and biomax in my AC filters give them all a good swishing in aquarium water during wc's.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
My sump has about 10-12lbs of the ceramic rings and about 1100 bio balls. It's been plenty of bio for my 220 and I don't expect I will ever need anymore, but more never hurts...

Reactions: tlindsey

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Thanks for the responses guys. And Travis, good eye that is fluval media, i only have a little of that stuff, swapped a friend a few hand fulls of cycled media to get his tank started.... So i guess it i dont need to separate it? and yeh stuff on the right is cheap. basically you guys just told me what i was thinking....just nice to have a second opinion. Cheers

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store