tiger mota

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
on the aggression scale would you say they are comparable to a red devil,midas? i have one atm thats about 7 inches.and so far hes way more easy going than my red devil was at the same size.ive read stories about them being way more nasty than jags.so far i dont see it..maybe cause not close to full grown yet

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
I think with most river dwelling species (motas), are more sneaky aggressive. Because they face greater predation threats from above because of shallower waters, they are much more inclined to hole up under a log or some other structure and strictly protect that space, while not chasing fish around all over. That type of behavior is more risky in the wild and would give predators more of a chance. Lake dwelling fish can escape the sky threat to a greater extent and focus more on holding territories. Most amphilophus fall into this category. Although it seems like the red devils are more aggressive because they are constantly fighting one another for more space, I think riverine species can be the most deadly if their "structures" are challenged.

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
I think with most river dwelling species (motas), are more sneaky aggressive. Because they face greater predation threats from above because of shallower waters, they are much more inclined to hole up under a log or some other structure and strictly protect that space, while not chasing fish around all over. That type of behavior is more risky in the wild and would give predators more of a chance. Lake dwelling fish can escape the sky threat to a greater extent and focus more on holding territories. Most amphilophus fall into this category. Although it seems like the red devils are more aggressive because they are constantly fighting one another for more space, I think riverine species can be the most deadly if their "structures" are challenged.
ty for the info.thats pretty interesting.yea my red devil is a handful for sure

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
My red Moto's were mean...not territorial like most cichlids. Like a psycho true texas on steroids. In a LARGE community tank I had multiple: butticofri, trimac, dovii (sub adult) carpinte, fenistatus, and owners of tank pair black nasty. Red motos were much smaller and destroyed them. I had to pull the pair of haits fear if they didn't get eaten, they'd get bloat...and my yellow motos were worse. Eating each other and totally wicked. Parachromis is mean. I have never seen an adult managuensis back down and they have giant mouth. The dovii is a tank with teeth and loiselle can hold it's own if in a situation that produces confidence, but but but in my experience mota is always half cocked ready to go

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
My red Moto's were mean...not territorial like most cichlids. Like a psycho true texas on steroids. In a LARGE community tank I had multiple: butticofri, trimac, dovii (sub adult) carpinte, fenistatus, and owners of tank pair black nasty. Red motos were much smaller and destroyed them. I had to pull the pair of haits fear if they didn't get eaten, they'd get bloat...and my yellow motos were worse. Eating each other and totally wicked. Parachromis is mean. I have never seen an adult managuensis back down and they have giant mouth. The dovii is a tank with teeth and loiselle can hold it's own if in a situation that produces confidence, but but but in my experience mota is always half cocked ready to go
outta my texas pair the female is the beast,the male a total wimp,wouldnt harm small dithers at all.yea rn my tiger mota is in with some black belts,midas,gold saums with majority of them all being sexually mature,and no issues so far

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store