Tiger shovel nose/red tails/achara's

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I don’t think steak is good for them, and I’m not sure about chicken. But don’t feed them this - feed them something healthier

Reactions: jeffreybpresley

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Not a popular debate... but large fish eat birds all the time as well as mammals...
i wouldn’t offer steak or chicken on the bone like that tho.
Myself and many other “old timers” used to feed turkey franks as a staple. Its alot cleaner than pork hotdogs. Highly frowned upon these days but some of my “staple hot dog eaters” are still alive and well around 10-15yrs old.
Times change tho, if u can get and keep “everybody” on a staple of pellets IMO thats the best thing for them. Offering “prepared foods” fish, turkey franks, shrimp, etc... on top of the pellet diet is more than fine. Variety is always best. Rule of thumb is... “would you eat it” ?... dont offer scraps/fat/gristle or bones or even spoiled fish.
This will get some red flags ? but itd b better to offer live chicks/ducks/rabbits/mice than slabs of poultry meat or wings and thats just not practical or affordable. If u need a cheap “filler” food to keep up with large fish in house supplement turkey franks WITH a staple of pellets ?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Back in my snake breeding days I could get large bags of freshly-dead newly-hatched chicks from a local poultry breeding facility for free. They were an excellent food source for many snake species, monitors, tegus, and other large carnivorous reptiles and obviously the price was right. I never used them as an exclusive diet but they were a valuable and cost-effective supplement to relatively expensive feeder mice and rats.

Warning: use of chicks resulted in the production of some of the most vile-smelling and messy snake stools I ever had to clean. Not sure if that would be true for fish.

In any case, the birds were a very natural food item for the snakes; I suspect that fish catching and eating birds in nature are an exceptional fluke and that birds are never a major component of the diet of the vast majority of fish species.

jeffreybpresley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2021
Not a popular debate... but large fish eat birds all the time as well as mammals...
i wouldn’t offer steak or chicken on the bone like that tho.
Myself and many other “old timers” used to feed turkey franks as a staple. Its alot cleaner than pork hotdogs. Highly frowned upon these days but some of my “staple hot dog eaters” are still alive and well around 10-15yrs old.
Times change tho, if u can get and keep “everybody” on a staple of pellets IMO thats the best thing for them. Offering “prepared foods” fish, turkey franks, shrimp, etc... on top of the pellet diet is more than fine. Variety is always best. Rule of thumb is... “would you eat it” ?... dont offer scraps/fat/gristle or bones or even spoiled fish.
This will get some red flags ? but itd b better to offer live chicks/ducks/rabbits/mice than slabs of poultry meat or wings and thats just not practical or affordable. If u need a cheap “filler” food to keep up with large fish in house supplement turkey franks WITH a staple of pellets ?
I def wouldn't feed them the faty parts. I mean like flank steak or some cheaper lean red meat an winglets especially because of the bone and marrow for the extra vitamins.

jeffreybpresley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2021
These guys are now large as my leg. I have to feed them 1/2 a bag of pellets each every meal. I figured cheapest thing is winglets with the bone. I thought about loading the chicken with a vitamin sup also.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Still just meat and bone, essentially. If you go this route then I think the vitamin supplements would be required.

Whole organisms...meat, bone, skin, connective tissue, organs...would be preferable.

Reactions: jeffreybpresley

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am not sure if you caught what Wed13 said, that the large bones or probably any bones must be avoided.

As an occasional treat without the fat and bones, this could work but an occasional treat will not solve your problem.

I buy frozen bait fish wholesale at $1/lb, thaw and presoak it in VitaChem before feeding. The other half of the feed are pellets.

jeffreybpresley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2021
I am not sure if you caught what Wed13 said, that the large bones or probably any bones must be avoided.

As an occasional treat without the fat and bones, this could work but an occasional treat will not solve your problem.

I buy frozen bait fish wholesale at $1/lb, thaw and presoak it in VitaChem before feeding. The other half of the feed are pellets.
Were do you get pellets big enough for my fish?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Were do you get pellets big enough for my fish?
Plenty of options out there in 50lb bags... look into foods for “fish farming” or “trout feed”. Tractor supply has some options. Read the ingredients and wage that vs the price. Look for any fish markets in ur area also u can find prepared foods in bulk/cheaper quantities.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store