Tiger shovelnose TSN violent swimming episode

Marksefcik

Feeder Fish
Jul 12, 2019
Youngstown Ohio
A few days ago my TSN had a violent swimming episode of banging into the glass and floor that lasted about 15 seconds and then he just layed in one spot for hours. The next day he seemed fine swimming as normal and did it again but for only a few seconds. Now he isn't swimming around even in the dark as he normally does, he just lays in one spot. He hasn't eaten since (I feed everyday)and its been a few days. I'm worried, any suggestions?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
A few days ago my TSN had a violent swimming episode of banging into the glass and floor that lasted about 15 seconds and then he just layed in one spot for hours. The next day he seemed fine swimming as normal and did it again but for only a few seconds. Now he isn't swimming around even in the dark as he normally does, he just lays in one spot. He hasn't eaten since (I feed everyday)and its been a few days. I'm worried, any suggestions?

Welcome aboard Mark

When was the last time you tested the water parameters?
What is your water change routine?
Do you add Dechlorinator to tank or water during wc's?
What are the tankmates ?

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Check those water parameters asap.

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome!

We need a lot more info to better the chances of helping you. Like stated above, knowing water test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH by a liquid API test tube kit would be a must and a start.

How big is the fish?
How long have you had it?
What's your experience level?
How stable is pH and and KH (carbonate water hardness) or at least the general water hardness?
Is the water well aerated?
What is the diet?
Do you feed live feeder fish?
What's the behavior of tankmates?
What's the history of the fish? (Such behavior might be fathomed to be connected with internal parasites, brain worms, etc.)
Photos.
Etc.

Reactions: tlindsey

Marksefcik

Feeder Fish
Jul 12, 2019
Youngstown Ohio
Welcome aboard Mark

When was the last time you tested the water parameters?
What is your water change routine?
Do you add Dechlorinator to tank or water during wc's?
What are the tankmates ?
I checked the water shortly after it happened and ammonia 0 nitrites were .25 (which its always at zero) and nitrates were under 20. Ph stays steady around 6.8ish. Tank mates are an aligator Gar and Florida Gar.

I do weekly water changes of 25% and level are always at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, >20 nitrates and ph steady at 6.8ish. Very well aerated. Tank mates are always calm and no is my TSN. I feed live feeders a couple times a week and chicken breast the rest of the feedings. This has been their diet for 3-4 months. I feed daily. TSN and flrida gar are 12 inches and my alligator car is 15 inches. They are in a 125 gallon tank but I am setting up a 1000g outdoor pool for them. He seems to be doing normal again swimming around a lot and not sitting in one spot. Could this maybe have been a seizure of some kind?

I do weekly water changes of 25% and level are always at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, >20 nitrates and ph steady at 6.8ish. Very well aerated. Tank mates are always calm and no is my TSN. I feed live feeders a couple times a week and chicken breast the rest of the feedings. This has been their diet for 3-4 months. I feed daily. TSN and flrida gar are 12 inches and my alligator car is 15 inches. They are in a 125 gallon tank but I am setting up a 1000g outdoor pool for them. He seems to be doing normal again swimming around a lot and not sitting in one spot. Could this maybe have been a seizure of some kind?
But I had that little spike of nitrites at .25 when i checked after it happened. Did a water change and water is back to normal the next day.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Just had a TSN have some kind of seizure or stroke and it's not good. Now only swims in jerks and always in circles one way. When he stops he slowly sinks and rolls over into his back. Currently only at 10" and was amazed to find he had a full belly after feeding the tank in which there is competition for food.
Sounds like you may have gotten past the problem, so all the best, but lay off the human food. ( ......not you,.......... the fish!)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
How is the TSN, Mark?

Two red flags are obvious - any nitrite (and ammonia) reading of more than zero by a liquid API test is a red flag - your biofiltration might be barely coping and you got no safety margin and sometimes your tank may get uncycled without you knowing. The diet is not great either as had been mentioned.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I don’t keep catfish but is there any reason why larger water changes can’t be done?
I am doing fairly major water changes twice a week and only see good results from this. Along with substrate and filter cleaning.
This for cichlids.
Also agree with changing the menu for these fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store