Tigrinus ID?

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
As I stated they are risky to house together. Where do you get this idea from? The videos of my 8-pack? If so, this is an exception and an experiment and there are much more than "a few" of them in there to dilute aggression.

I think so. About 3-4 years back there was one for sale on MFK with a yard stick next to it in the photo. Was definitely 34"-36". The owner wanted only a grand. Young fish too, about 3-4 years old. From the Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA. Grown in a huge concrete vat.
Just noticed, you are the orher fish rescue (i think you rescue right?) haha, yes your video & ohios too. Seen a few others knocking around aswell... if it doesnt work tigs aren’t hard to sell or swap. But its always worth a try as it looks amazing.

how exactly do they kill each other, just nipping and battering?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
There is only one such tank I am aware of in the world (I am not all-knowing though, of course) and yes, it is at our Fish Story Public Aquarium and Rescue. OFR came to our place twice and filmed our tanks too, so that would be the same our tank and the same our fish but on their channel.

Our tig thread is this: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-tigrinum-15-in-4500-gal.682588/#post-7681583 I am about to update it with a new video within a week or so.

Yes, by nipping and battering and outright biting to injure and kill. A subjugated tig must run away and have enough place to stay away from the dominant one, otherwise the constant stress of the regular whooping will kill it soon.

Ours is a risky experiment I'd not recommend for anyone but if someone wanted to try it too, I'd be very interested in any and all learnings. Ours still fight too but relatively little. Yet IDK if the constant close proximity of other tigs is a stress factor for them. If it is, that may result in an unpleasant outcome of shortened lifetime or diseases. The latter I've not noticed yet.

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
There is only one such tank I am aware of in the world (I am not all-knowing though, of course) and yes, it is at our Fish Story Public Aquarium and Rescue. OFR came to our place twice and filmed our tanks too, so that would be the same our tank and the same our fish but on their channel.

Our tig thread is this: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-tigrinum-15-in-4500-gal.682588/#post-7681583 I am about to update it with a new video within a week or so.

Yes, by nipping and battering and outright biting to injure and kill. A subjugated tig must run away and have enough place to stay away from the dominant one, otherwise the constant stress of the regular whooping will kill it soon.

Ours is a risky experiment I'd not recommend for anyone but if someone wanted to try it too, I'd be very interested in any and all learnings. Ours still fight too but relatively little. Yet IDK if the constant close proximity of other tigs is a stress factor for them. If it is, that may result in an unpleasant outcome of shortened lifetime or diseases. The latter I've not noticed yet.
Very interesting & thank you for writing im such detail. Ill give the update a read/ watch & go from there, if there is a problem I’m sure one can be divided or 1 in each big tank down the line. What are your dimensions for your 10 240g tanks? 8x4x2 feet, I’m in the UK so our gallons work differently.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Very interesting & thank you for writing im such detail. Ill give the update a read/ watch & go from there, if there is a problem I’m sure one can be divided or 1 in each big tank down the line. What are your dimensions for your 10 240g tanks? 8x4x2 feet, I’m in the UK so our gallons work differently.
8x2x2 feet = 240 US gallons
8x4x2 = 480 US galons

imperial gallon is 1.2 x US gallon

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
8x2x2 feet = 240 US gallons
8x4x2 = 480 US galons

imperial gallon is 1.2 x US gallon
Ahh thank you, interesting, I thought it would need more front to back depth, thank you for your time, ill try update about my attempts :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Ahh thank you, interesting, I thought it would need more front to back depth, thank you for your time, ill try update about my attempts :)
It most assuredly does need to be wider. I am gluing an 1800 US gallon tank for them as we speak. They have outgrown this tank badly. True. I have failed our tigs timewise but there is still light in the end of the tunnel it seems.

Reactions: Jush

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
As I stated they are risky to house together. Where do you get this idea from? The videos of my 8-pack? If so, this is an exception and an experiment and there are much more than "a few" of them in there to dilute aggression.

I think so. About 3-4 years back there was one for sale on MFK with a yard stick next to it in the photo. Was definitely 34"-36". The owner wanted only a grand. Young fish too, about 3-4 years old. From the Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA. Grown in a huge concrete vat.
10 day almost update; my first tig nipped new tigs “strings” on his tail, but they stick to opposite ends of the tank, if they see each other they either are fine, or slightly nip a little bit and swim opposite ways.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I had my 9" tig with my 9" piraiba in a 6 x2x2 growing on and did not act soon enough when I realized tig was hiding too much. Stress killed him very quickly even after moving him out to a separate tank he never recovered. Unfortunately an expensive and risky mistake. hope it goes better for yo u.

Reactions: Jush
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store