Tigrinus owners, please check my set-up

Blackwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2005
Seventh Gate
This is my 180 (72x24x24) that I plan to add a 5" Tigrinus to. It has a 29 gallon wet/dry with 10 gallons of bio-balls and twin Mag Drive 7's for returns. It also has 2 Eheim 2217 cans so filtration and flow/turnover is good. I am wondering about aquascaping, you can see I have driftwood and fake plants, any changes I need to make to it?? I also use 100% RO/DI water and I need to know what GH and KH these fish prefer. I am still wondering about tankmates, I am sure a Black Arowana would get too big for my 180 when grown so that leaves me wondering about a couple good and gentle tankmates. Dats have been suggested and I am trying to source a couple now but I'd be open to other ideas for sure??? I thought about Gold Severums but someone said they may be aggressive towards the cat? Tinfoil Barbs may work, but they aren't exactly my fave. I'm looking for the Siamese Tiger Dats, masybe that's the way to go? I just want to make sure I have everything ok before I drop $250 + shipping on the Tigrinus!!!! I am currently doing a fishless cycle with Bio-Spira and it is proceeding well but slow. Any advive from the people who have Tigs would really help alot.

Tigrinus

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
That set up looks really nice. It seems like you are highly prepared for the Tigrinus. As for tankmates, freshwater stingrays are fun. I currently have a big school of silver dollars, a juruense, and a peacockbass with my tigrinus.

Be careful with RO water, because it can cause pH crashes. Ask katfishguy(Nishant) about it.

I suppose dats are good tankmates as long as they are big enough to not get eaten. I prefer my aquariums to be based off of specific regions though. South American Themes mostly. Your aquascaping looks pretty nice,,,im guessing the tigrinus is going to sit behind one of those peices of driftwood. You may not be able to see him too well.

Blackwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2005
Seventh Gate
I have thought about Silver Dollars but was afraid the Tig would eat them, maybe I will try a school of them and see though. I agree with what you are saying about the R/O water, I always meassure GH, KH, PH and TDS before adding it into my tanks to make sure the alkalinity is high enough to avoid a crash. Wouldn't an adult Tigrinus eat an adult Silver Dollar? I thought Silver Dollars got like 6-8"?? but if they are working in your tank, I'll give it a shot! I love Stingrays but am holding off getting any untill I get an indoor pond up and running of at least 300 gallons, and I don't want any tankmates in with rays so I can keep Nitrates low. Thanks for the input, I am pretty nervous about getting this fish.

Tigrinus

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
As for silver dollars. The black bars get pretty big. I have seen them 9" plus in diameter at the Shedd Aquarium. Im not sure about regulars or red hooks. They are getting along fine as of right now. Even though Tigrinus have big mouths, I doubt a 24" tigrinus could eat a 8-10" in diamter fish. Big silver dollars are fast and powerful as well. A 24" tigs mouth is not as wide as a rtc, tsn, planiceps, or l. marmoratus at that size.

I heard silver dollars have bitten the filaments on cats before so i guess that is a downside.

a quick pic of a few mine

Blackwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2005
Seventh Gate
Bala Sharks?? or maybe just no tankmates at all. These Tigs are just gorgeous, and I would be so pissed if some $2.99 Petco dropout fish chewed the cats streamers!!! Maybe I should just spoil the Tig and let him have the 180 to himself???

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
discus with tigrinus. hahahahaha feel sorry for those discus. not a good combo in my opinion. but then again i have seen some crazy schit work with fish youd never think of mixing.

Tigrinus

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
I think having one tig in a 180g will bore you. I love tigrinus and they are one of my favs, but they don't move during the day and they like to hide.

Maybe you can start off with the tig, let it get settled in and then decide. You can always add tankmates. Ill keep trying to think of more tankmates...

Just curious,,,how old are you and where are you getting the tig from?

Blackwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2005
Seventh Gate
I am 35, looking at a 5" Tig from George at Shark Aquarium, $250+$60 shipping. I know it will be a pretty lethargic creature most of the time. My biggest concern is that I don't want any potential tankmates to harm him or stress him out. I also don't want any tankmates that may be prone to a particular disease to get stressed and then get diseased and pass it to the Tig. I have been searching and searching the net looking at candidates. I am leaning towards Red Hook Silver Dollars. I guess I could try it and if I see any aggression or stress on the part of the Tig, the Silver Dollars would be pulled from the tank?? I really am looking for a "pet" more than a tank specimen. It would be nice to have some fish actually swimming around as well though.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Dats are nice , they wouldnt bother your tig at all. Aim for top swimmers like arowanas... that would make for a good balance in the tank too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store