Tilapia Buttikoferi ?'s

discus-dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2010
indiana
can some one give me some basic facts and care info on these i want to get one or two but cant find anything online that sounds reliable and where i can buy online ? thanks

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
They are very very mean. That is all.

Actually that is all I know. They get pretty large 12 inch + and they are some of the meanest fish you can get.

discus-dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2010
indiana
Greg31;4933588; said:
They are very very mean. That is all.

Actually that is all I know. They get pretty large 12 inch + and they are some of the meanest fish you can get.
well that helped alot LOL

superemone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2010
USA
They are considered African cichlids. Extremely hardy and will grow HUGE. Once they get big, their vertical stripes won't be as apparent so they won't look as nice.

Get them if you have a big tank reserved for just them. They are MEAN. I tried and failed many times to "tame" mine to be in with my peacocks/haps tank. He would do fine for a few weeks and become a nasty bully.

If you want to get them, get them small and house with bigger fish. They'll catch up in size in no time. They're extremely intelligent and full of personalities.

Larz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2007
ATL
Great personality! Fast growers! Mean as sh*t!! The one in my avatar grew from 1" to 6" in 5 months. Max out around 14-16".

BTW, best kept in a tank by itself or a mated pair.

smokeythebair

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
PA
I just got one he is 1.5inches and awesome. I have him with bigger cichlids so he hides alot but from what i heard the will get big quick. I also heard they de scale fish not sure if thats true though.

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
theres two in in a shop a couple of hours away from me, both over 12 inch and kept by themselves, shops tried them with other fish but no joy

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
my LFS has a massive (w/d/h) 7 x 7 x 2.5 ft display tank and the butti gets on fine in there with other fish only because of the size... in anything smaller it was killing everything ... its probably 12" at the moment.

They are incredibly territorial and more than capable of killing most cichlids with their huge mouths and teeth. Wouldnt advise putting it in a community unless you have a very large tank.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
insane fish, some will hit up to 16" mine stopped growing at 11" but they have more personality than anything else ive ever owned. they will attack anything near the tank and love killing. i keep mine in an almost empty tank with some gravel for him to redecorate all the time and a big clay pot. he breaks everything including filters, plants(both fake and alive) powerheads, and especially likes to try to kill fish. i have him in with 6 rosie reds that are way too fast and smart for him but it cracks me up when he goes insane and tries to kill em.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store