Time for a change.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I have been keeping new world cichlids continually for 15 years now and after lots of thought and a few false starts decided it's time for a change, so as of next week I will have an empty tank.
At the moment I am back to just the one tank, 76 by 28 by 24 inch high about 215 us gal.
Still not 100% sure on stock yet.
Option 1 Channa pleurophthalma group of 3 to 5.
Option 2 Hepsetus odoe with Polypterus endlicheri or delhezi.
Option 3 hoplias spp, but at the moment malabaricus and aimara are the only ones available, aimara get way to big, mala I think would need tank mates or it could be a boring tank.
Option 4 stick to what I know and get a amphilophus spp of some sort.
Any ideas and opinions welcome .
I went through this myself and getting into polypterus reinvigorated my passion for the hobby.

I say option 2 minus the del. Some combination of Endlicheri, lapradei, ansorgii, congicus (my fav), teugelsi, ornate and weeksii would work well together. They aren't high octane but when they put on some size they are quite impressive.

If you ever get he itch to grab a cichlid again it will mix well with Polys especially if it's a herbivore.

Reactions: dan518

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
While I love my bichirs they can be pretty boring. Just sit like logs most of the time. Im glad they are mixed with cichlids. Despite that my vote is #2

Or for fun do something really oddball like a Fahaka Puffer. I have a little puffer and am amazed by how outgoing they are. Rivals a lot of cichlids.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Thanks everyone for the advice, very much appreciated.
Just ordered a group of Channa pleurophthalma, the thought of 18 inch shoaling snakeheads gets me.
Not my tank, think he is a member though
Those things have worse table manners than cichlids, they're so messy... Beautiful fish though, very beautiful.

Well, hurry up and get the tank set up! Quickly now! You're taking too long! ;) :p

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Those things have worse table manners than cichlids, they're so messy... Beautiful fish though, very beautiful.

Well, hurry up and get the tank set up! Quickly now! You're taking too long! ;) :p
Hate waiting for fish to arrive, two days feel like ages.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hate waiting for fish to arrive, two days feel like ages.
I wouldn't know, I'm not allowed to import anything here. :(

I imagine that each day feels like a week, and each week like a month... I'm to impatient for that, I like my fish here and now. :D

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks everyone for the advice, very much appreciated.
Just ordered a group of Channa pleurophthalma, the thought of 18 inch shoaling snakeheads gets me.
Not my tank, think he is a member though
So cool. If they were legal here I probably would have made the same choice man. Can't wait to see them

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I was going to be a jerk and find the cutest puppy dog eyes pic I have of Toni and post

You know you want a (insert picture here)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store