tiny crack, can I fix it?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
had another go at my derimming shenanigans, cracked a third tank
it's an old 10 gallon with black silicone so I thought it'd look neat without rims on it, turned out they were on alot tighter than I thought.
so basically there's the tiniest 2 inch crack on the top left of the 'back' of the tank, any way I can fix it? can I just slap a thing of plexiglass on it with some silicone and seal both sides?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
1, acrylic does not bind with silicone sealant, you can use Weldon but you’d need to have an acrylic tank for it to work.

2, personally I’d never trust it, just because you won’t know until it’s too late and ten gallons is still a paaain to clean up, especially out of carpet.

3, any short term procedure would be more expensive than paying the $10-15 to go buy one off Craigslist to replace it

Reactions: tlindsey

imifumei

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2020
I've fixed a 10 gallon tank like that (silicone and CD case), but I never used the tank indoors. It was in my garage as a fry tank. Went for maybe a year no problem then I tossed it. Although, 10 gallon tanks are cheap, so why not get a nice one.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Would really need pics to be sure, but for all the time and effort, it would be much easier to replace it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store