Tiny white flies hovering over the water

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hey guys,

I noticed this morning that I had a truckload of tiny little white flies hovering over the surface of my tank (some hovering outside the tank, sadly...).

I changed 30% of the 180g this sunday, and it was perfectly normal as late as last night. They basically hatched overnight and infested my entire tank (hopefully not my entire appartment :/).

I'm kind of afraid to go back home and see the disaster!

Anyway, I have no idea what they are, only that they look like very small flies, are white (could be young stage, I assume color can change) and hatched overnight, a gazillion of them.

My fish seem too big to even bother trying to eat them as they are guppy food sized.

I need to find a quick fix and read things about cleaning filter media, boiling pipes and whatnot, and also a complete 24 to 48h blackout (I could do that, if my ray can handle that long without food). I really hope I get a solution to that, cause I can't deal with a billion flies and don't know of any fish safe bug extermination solution. :/

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
This is getting out of control.
I have thousands of flies and these worm looking formations all over my glass, plants, wood...

I need to get rid of it fast. :/IMG_20180312_203659.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store