Tips for moving with a Fahaka

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
ok I'm moving to a home about 45 minuets away. Majora is about 5inches long and still very skittish. My husband bumped his tank today and he freaked out! He swam, jumped up hit the lid of the tank and then ran into the heater all because of a slight bump. I'm now terrified of a bumpy 45 minuet car ride. Any tips to keep him as stress free as possible?

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
at 5 inches he should be fine, but i do not know much about puffers. you could also look into sedating him

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
He's friendly and active, but if you touch his tank he nearly has a heart attack

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
When I moved, I asked my lfs to house my fish for a few days while I got myself sorted out etc. It's just meant that there wasn't a rush. My lfs is great and they all know me by name so a few days turned into a few weeks as I upgraded to my 220g after moving in. It's just an idea as that way you can manage his stress level better. Alternatively a bucket with a lid, more space and the dark will make him feel more secure. Either way it's not going to be a lot of fun for the poor little guy.

Reactions: tlindsey

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
My LFS options are Petco and a Saltwater shop. Neither had heard of a Fahaka until I showed up and started buying shrimp for him. I like the bucket plan though. My moms car has air ride so she volunteered to be my fish shuttle. I'm definitely moving them last after I get the tanks set up in the new house. I hate the idea of emptying my tanks I've had to reseed his once already

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
He survived the move. I put him in a very large bowl with a lid then set the bowl in a box with a blanket under and a blanket around the bowl. That way he was in very limited light and his ride was cushioned. He was still a little stressed, but more so from waiting for me to reset up his tank than the ride. After 24 hours he was back to normal and the ghost shrimp I bought him seemed to help that right along as well.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Sounds like a highly successful endeavour to me! Good idea with the Bowl and blankets and with the speed you get the tank re set up it would limit his stress. He will always be stressed that is unavoidable totally but it sounds like you kept it to an absolute minimum... fine work.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store