Tire Track Eel with Ray?

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Went to a LFS recently and ran into a large tire track eel for $75, It was healthy looking and I would guess roughly 18 inches in length.

I wouldn't be able to put him in a tank without rays so anyone on here have that combo? I just like its size because it is a bit of a rarer thing to see.

I haven't purchased it and may not, just thinking on it.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Went to a LFS recently and ran into a large tire track eel for $75, It was healthy looking and I would guess roughly 18 inches in length.

I wouldn't be able to put him in a tank without rays so anyone on here have that combo? I just like its size because it is a bit of a rarer thing to see.

I haven't purchased it and may not, just thinking on it.
I know a few with this combo with no issues. Never know until you buy unfortunately

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Just completely depends on the eels temperament.

I have that combo but my eel was Tiny when I got him it has always been with rays.

One thing to watch out for his to see if the eel will eat a varied diet or if it is one that will eat earthworms only as that tends to become a problem eventually.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Just completely depends on the eels temperament.

I have that combo but my eel was Tiny when I got him it has always been with rays.

One thing to watch out for his to see if the eel will eat a varied diet or if it is one that will eat earthworms only as that tends to become a problem eventually.
That was what worried me as well. They are currently feeding goldfish and earthworms but have only had it for a couple weeks, someone traded it in with 3 silver arowanas at 12-14'+ because they outgrew their tanks and this LFS has several tanks that in are in the 100-300 gallon range.

I did pick up one of the silvers actually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store