To ALL snakehead owners - diet?

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
This is a question to all snakehead owners out there, i was wondering what do you feed your snakehead? I know that it is good to have a varied diet so they get all the nutrition they need. I am currently feeding my marulius and bleheri, dried shrimp, frozen blood worms, and live minnows ( i think thats what they are). i get the feeders for about $.25 US for abt 30 of them so they're soooo cheap. I just started them on the feeders today, but so far they haven't eaten any. Should I put awhole bag of the feeders in the tank and let the snakeheads eat when they want?

What do u feed yours!

contender

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2005
Bangkok
www.chokemuay.com
i have a striata and micropeltes, and an albino striata (well looks like a striata) and i feed them sometimes live fw shrimp, talapia, and i'm looking into frogs, but there are a lot of frogs out here that might be toxic for them,....

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
I use to feed them shrimp, but the store here that sells feeders doesn't have them anymore, and they say they're usually all gone by noon. Which sucks coz my SH's loved the live shrimp.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
cichlid gold pellets.

PS - feeders here are about 3 dollars for 1. Hahahahah. I wish they were cheap then I would feed them nothing but feeders.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
They are far from fussy.

I feed my two, Live earthworms, shrimp and crickets. Frozen fish, prawns and shrimp. Bits of left over chicken and fish from my dinners and arowana pellets.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
mine only eats live

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
Thanks for the replies everyone,

Contender: I didn't find that problem with my SH when he ate shrimps, they were small so he just swallowed them whole, no shells anywhere. I think recently though, my marulius ate a little red clawed crab i had in there. i can't seem to find it anywhere.

rumblesushi: Thats insane! If feeders were 3 dollars for one i think i'd have to shoot my self :screwy: . You should try raising your own feeders if you have a spare tank. Thats what i use to do with my Piranhas. If i plan on getting a SH in brighton then it'll be a lot of trouble fidning live food for it to eat.

Jelly: Damn it seems like your fish eats EVERYTHING. I haven't tried feeding my SH's raw meat yet but i'll try when they're bigger.

Can anyone please answer my question about whether or not i should just dump all the feeders into my SH tank and just let them eat when they want? Or should i put the feeders into the tank when its meal time? I'm leaving for university in 2 days and won't be able to see my SH's until xmas, but my dad is gonna be taking care of them.

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
ive kept a good few different types of snakehead, there main diet what i used to feed most of them would be frozen fish, mussle, cockle, prawn, bloodworm, beefheart and earthworms.

sgland

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Singapore
sqratch said:
Can anyone please answer my question about whether or not i should just dump all the feeders into my SH tank and just let them eat when they want? Or should i put the feeders into the tank when its meal time? I'm leaving for university in 2 days and won't be able to see my SH's until xmas, but my dad is gonna be taking care of them.
Since u r going away, it's ok to dump the whole lot. I don't see anything wrong with that except spoiling them a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store