To sump or not

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
before the end of February I will be upgrading my living room 125- to a 180.
Not getting into stock at all but what would choose- tank with overflows or without?
Currently I use an FX6 and 2 eheim 2217s on the tank-
The only sump I run is on my salt tank- no sure I see a benefit there.

This would be a new setup and I’m considering going all out and doing a 3D background as well.

The differences in prices for the tank with overflows and without is $70.00

Knowing buying a sump and return pump won’t be cheap but ok with it I’d its the better option.

What do you go with, my canister setup or go sump?

Thank you

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
before the end of February I will be upgrading my living room 125- to a 180.
Not getting into stock at all but what would choose- tank with overflows or without?
Currently I use an FX6 and 2 eheim 2217s on the tank-
The only sump I run is on my salt tank- no sure I see a benefit there.

This would be a new setup and I’m considering going all out and doing a 3D background as well.

The differences in prices for the tank with overflows and without is $70.00

Knowing buying a sump and return pump won’t be cheap but ok with it I’d its the better option.

What do you go with, my canister setup or go sump?

Thank you

Do a sump simple to maintain. Most use filter socks that catch the debris and excess food.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Tom, since you already are familiar with how to run a sump, why not go that route.
I don't consider sumps more expensive, sure...if you buy a pre-made, commercial one.
But in reality a sump is just a box, and could be an old used, ugly tank, or a strong rubbermaid bin. I don't compartmentalize mine, I just put bio media in mesh bags for easy in and out cleaning, and hang filter socks on the water lines entering the sump. I also like them for putting in equipment like heaters, pumps, and the like to keep that non-natural stuff out of view.
Just get one where access is easy (enough arm space to do maintenance, equipment removal etc etc),
Unlike salt water tanks, fresh water tanks need lots of water changes, mechanical and bio media cleaning.
I drill my own tanks, and have done about 10 with one drill bit, but to me $70 to have it drilled and ready to go with bulkheads built in, doesn't sound like a bad way to go (especially if they are guaranteed.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Thank you both-
I’ll be moving the 125 to a 180 stand i built in my basement- currently a 75 sits below the 180 and i use it as a grow out.
I built the stand so that I could eventually move the 125 to where the 75 is.

Which would leave me a 75 to convert to a sump. Or build another rack....

I had a heater melt in my sw sump but I also don’t have a constant height chamber in that.

Thanks again

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A 75 gallons sound good as a sump, plenty of room for stuff.
I often grow out fry in my sumps, and plant them, especially for fish that destroy plants in the main tank.
below is one of the planted sumps

below same sump during a water change

In those type sumps, I will often build bio-tower filled with lava rock as bio-media

The one above is a bio-tower standing in a 75 gal sump.
I often set the sumps off to the side for ease of maintenance, I like a lot of arm maneuvering room.
Here's one I just set up off to the side of a 180 gal tank,.
fullsizeoutput_b9e.jpeg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I can understand someone asking this question if they'd only ever ran cannisters and wanted to hear the benifits of a sump set up, as an alternative. But you already run a sump on another set up so it should be a no brainer really. You already know how easy sumps are. Go with what you know.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I can understand someone asking this question if they'd only ever ran cannisters and wanted to hear the benifits of a sump set up, as an alternative. But you already run a sump on another set up so it should be a no brainer really. You already know how easy sumps are. Go with what you know.
Cannisters are easy too-
I’ve only had a sump for about a year and understand why it’s better for SW.
just crowd sourcing preferences before a big purchase.
This will be in my living room not my basement so I want to give it the best from the start

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I agree with everyone sump it. Since the tank is in your living room id consider how your going to set up the drains. Run them at full siphon and they will be virtually silent. Look into herbie or bean animal. Since its a new tank you can have the bulk heads drilled

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Thanks if I go sump route I’ll be buying a predrilled AgA- right now they are on sale and the cost difference for overflows or not is $70-
I don’t know what herbie or bean animal are.
In a predrilled tank is there a need for drilled bulkheads?
My SW I use an HOB overflow box

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Herbie and bean animal are drain methods using full siphon drains. No air in the lines = silent operation, increase in flow, and more control in your hands. They also call for dry e drains (i highly recommend) in the event there is a stoppage in the main drains.

At this point research or ask questions on the size of plumbing, flow rates, and plumbing method (bean or herbie) so you can decide on how large you want the bulkeads to be/ size of drilled holes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store