Too much filtration/flow

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
is it possible to have to much filtration/ flow in a freshwater tank? my neighbor has my old 75G and got a fluval FX6 filter which is rated for a 400G tank its the only filter running

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
As long as the fish are not being banged around by to much current and are able to relax or rest when they need to.
If you put even a healthy fish in a continuous flow it can eventually be exhausted.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
There is a point of diminishing returns where one is just wasting electricity but beyond that it's hard to "over filter" a tank. Zeros are zeros on a test kit, any way one looks at it

Reactions: David R

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I have an FX6 on my 75 as well. If he finds the flow is too much for the particular type of fish, the valve on the OUTput/RETURN LINE can be safely adjusted by as much as 30% to slow the flow. I did that at first when my RD's babies were under 3 inches, but now that they are all 5+ inches I have it full open and they swim in the current just fine at full blast.

That's part of what the valves are there for, not just for ease of maintenance. People don't seem to realize that for some reason. Just always remember to only slow the flow with the output/return valve, NOT the intake as that could potentially starve the pump causing damage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store