Too much weight?

vzgoth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
VA
I am looking to get a couple much larger tanks.
How large can a tank be before I need to worry about bracing the floor or just moving it to the basement altoghther? :feedback:

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Since you are not on a pad foundation I would brace anything larger than a 150g, a 100g in an older house. I'm a bit paranoid but I have seen what can happen.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
Before we can help you will need to get to the basement or in the crawl space and see what size joist your house was built with and how they are braced.

My house was built with 2- 2x10' next to each other. the span is 14'. I have a 265gal in that room with no problems.

Also you will need to go across the joists and not in the same direction that they run.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
You can also widen your tanks foot print by placing it on a sheet of 3/4" plywood that you can cover with tile or linoleum, a sheet will give you a weight dispersal over 32 square feet so if your tank is smaller than that it will help

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
guppy said:
You can also widen your tanks foot print by placing it on a sheet of 3/4" plywood that you can cover with tile or linoleum, a sheet will give you a weight dispersal over 32 square feet so if your tank is smaller than that it will help
I have to disagree with you on this one. It doesn't make a diffence weather you put the tank across the joists or put a piece of plywood down across the joists they are still supporting the weight in the same way. If you are thinking about the carpet it may help not to have as defined an outline.

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
repair said:
I have to disagree with you on this one. It doesn't make a diffence weather you put the tank across the joists or put a piece of plywood down across the joists they are still supporting the weight in the same way. If you are thinking about the carpet it may help not to have as defined an outline.
i think what guppy is saying is correct, we use the same concept on aircraft floors for loading heavy oversized equipment. by applying the shoring it distributes the weight over a greater area therefore relieving the airframe enough to support the cargo.

turtall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
State of Hawai'i
This is great! I'm thinking about doing the same thing myself. Ours is a stem wall house we are presently refinancing, and I just fell in love :drool: witha 150 gallon all glass tank (ug filter, lights and cover, $600). I'm going to crawl under the house and do a survey to-day, and keep an eye on all your input on this thread.
P.S. Is that a good price for a new tank? I want to build the stand myself, as I am not without some talent m-hmmm).

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
islander671 said:
i think what guppy is saying is correct, we use the same concept on aircraft floors for loading heavy oversized equipment. by applying the shoring it distributes the weight over a greater area therefore relieving the airframe enough to support the cargo.
That is true on an air frame because you are useing the ribs and skin to support the weight and you have to consider that if you stress the skin in a small spot you may get a crack that could cause a failure but in a house all the weight is supported by the joists of the house.

If the problem was breaking through the floor covering like it is on an aircraft then spreading the weight would be a solution but in a house you are trying not to break or bow the joists.

When you place a large fish tank in a house you want to go across the joists and not run it along the joists.

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
repair said:
That is true on an air frame because you are useing the ribs and skin to support the weight and you have to consider that if you stress the skin in a small spot you may get a crack that could cause a failure but in a house all the weight is supported by the joists of the house.

If the problem was breaking through the floor covering like it is on an aircraft then spreading the weight would be a solution but in a house you are trying not to break or bow the joists.

When you place a large fish tank in a house you want to go across the joists and not run it along the joists.
ahhh. i can see clearly now. yes i can see what you are saying now. thank you for correcting me.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
By using the ply you might be able to catch an extra joist or even spread the weight close to two extras, it depends on your construction. the tank I have seen get cracked was in an old house that a joist had gotten dry rot in. It also helps in places with inner floor sills under the joists. It is only a minor aid in any case and nothing beats a reinforced pad foundation for support. I didn't even think about the carpet but I have had stand legs sink into a hardwood floor (iron stand). I figure it can't hurt and helps a little so why not, I also like the look of it, last time I did this I faced the ply with glazed tiles in a burnt umber color with an outer boarder of 4" square glazed tiles in cobalt blue. It looked very cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store