Touching your fish

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Yikes. 'm moving oscars next week. Any hints?
Do it quickly and with a bin if possible, if not then use a large net and cup it so they can't jump out, that's what I do with all fish, but monster fish above all as they can jump and hurt themselves very easily

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I use a big flexible bowl to move big fish, makes it super easy. View attachment 1376690
I'm just moving from the bedroom to the living room. Only about 25 feet away. Go out the bedroom door make a right and I'm there.
I can lay some towels out. Moving 6 fish.
I was thinking that I would just net'em and take to the living room tank. Will of course put my hand over the fish when in the net. What do you think? Or should I put them in a bucket after I net'em and pour them into the other aquarium? I am a little apprehensive of this method as I had a fish jump out of the bucket / basin once a long time ago (piranha).

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Net should be fine, like you said support the fish with your hand in route.

I like the bowl cause it will conform to a corner of the tank, scoop up the fish, pour into what ever its going into.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
When I moved my then 18" GG outside to my pond (we were going on vacation for a couple of weeks), I drained half the tank, and snagged it with a bath towel. I built a pen out of pvc pipes, plastic deer fencing, and pool noodles. Had a friend come by several times to throw in heads of romaine lettuce.

20170819_185113.jpg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I used the plastic bin that you can see floating in his old tank which is now my outdoor tank. I had done this twice before I he was always very calm and I just left his water all the way down and scooped him up in a bin. I covered him over with one hand and moved into the other tank.

But this time he struggled like crazy and jumped out of bin with only 5 in of water in the tank.

He seems to be recovering and I'll have the 75 set up in one more day and he will be very happy to be in it.

I think to move him this time I am going to lay a towel in the tank and let him swim over it and then pick up both ends and scoop him up just like a cat.

He actually got most of his scratches from the edge of the plastic bin.

20190613_230117.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store