Tour de France 2021

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
By the way, I bought that bicycle from a guy who is 6’-4” and he thought the frame was a little bit too short.

I am 5’-10” and I am not sure I can ride it.

If it’s too tall I’m gonna break out the Tubing cutter and the Tig torch.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; It is 2022 in France. Just finished watching stage 5. So am all caught up. Here is my question. Not long ago the race directors/referees punished Sagan for using his shoulder to keep from being run into the barriers. The penalties were plenty enough so he (Sagan) was not able to win green that year.
To this years race. During a sprint the same guy ( still in yellow) clearly rode to the right again pushing Sagan close to the right side barriers. Sagan this time did not defend his position and wound up dropping back.

How come one is allowed to move a few feet from his path to the right there by forcing anyone trying to pass on the right into the barriers without any punishment? Best I recall the rules became in a sprint the riders are expected to hold a line when ahead. The move by the guy in yellow was clear in the video (stage three maybe) Glad Sagan backed off but so far have not heard of any penalty on the other guy. ( His name escapes me just now. Is it Vot Vanart?)( he is in yellow.)

Background: a few years ago during a sprint Sagan and Cavendish tangled with Cavendish being hurt badly. Lots of cussing and discussing over that. I watched the original and multitude of replays. My thinking was Cavendish went for a space which simply was not open. Some blamed Sagan. Some like me felt Cavendish tried a dumb move and was the major cause of his own crash. Any way it seems some of those in charge are not going to give Sagan an even break anymore. My take anyway. Seems in a bike race or on social media there is a bias.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I don't fully understand the rules myself, I'll not pretend otherwise. In my eyes when you get to the business end of the race, especially on a sprinters stage, and when those lead out trains start vying for an advantageous line or position at the front, all at 60-70 kph, then how they can follow the strict guidelines to the letter is beyond my comprehension. It's all out war at the front, it's frightening.

They clamped down on the rules/ brought in more changes, after the horrific crash in the tour of Poland in 2020 (you need to see that on you tube), where Dylan Groenewegen barged Fabio Jacobsen into the barriers at 70 kph.

I don't see how sprinters can keep their attacking line when the lead out men are peeling off to the sides to allow the train to continue. Everybody's in the way of each other. It's not surprising elbows and headbutting instances occur regularly. Peter Sagan, in his pomp, was always in the mix, not so much nowadays. It comes with the territory of being an aggressive pro racer.

What I am certain about though is that it all adds to the spectacle for us, the viewer, so I'm not going to complain too much about it, lol.

Today's stage, much of it on the cobbles, was nail biting. Team Jumbo Visma, with Vingegaard and Roglic as favourites for the race after Pogacar, had an absolute nightmare. Roglic looks to be pretty much out of it already.

And fancy popping your own dislocated shoulder back into the socket road side as Roglic did. They might be skinny little dudes but hell, they're tough, lol.

I'm glad you're watching it Jeff.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store