Toxic Mold

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with Toxic Mold by keeping a fish room or having a large indoor pond. I do notice a black 'smudge' on the walls and in corners, and I RELIGIOUSLY wipe it down clean. Is this the beginnings of Toxic Mold?

I am planning on moving in the next year or so, and I will be *trying* to construct a large indoor pond. I live in Canada, so outdoor ponds keeping tropicals are out of the question. I do want to make it fairly large - probably in the neighborhood of 3-4000 gallons. What can I do to ensure toxic mold doesn't develop?

I will be bugging you guys for plans when I am ready to start. I have never done it before, and I am rather not that handy!!

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
I think that is mold forming from all the moisture. Unfortunately with all the humidity in the room from the tropical tanks you will eventually have that. Bad bad bad. I dont know how much help a dehumidifier will be, but you can always try that.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
There are several "toxic" molds, Fan venting, dehumidifiers, and High spectrum (low uv) lighting all help. When I lived in Oakland I had around 1800g in tanks in a 3 bedroom house, the largest was a 150, most were 20-30g, I had to use all three.

guesswho2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Medowlakes,Alaska
Well hello Rui, Chris Wilkinson (guesswho2005) I live in Alaska I have ran indoors ponds now for 7 years. Dont worry about the mold (The Trust) is right its just humity and lower grade mold. Where to start you might as well get ready to build your own bio filters unless you got deep pockets. One good thing over 3000 gal biology/enviroment of thes pound is easier to maintain. I will send you filter and pump designs. I would use a small dedicated hot water heater to maintain water temp you can run it through before it enter the filters. temp above 68 will start to develop a bio reaction temp under 68 will is not very efficent to get things rolling. I have unfontunitleny killed my share KOi. and water ever you do keep all plants in a separte tank of water for 30 days. Paratisite will cycle then die and you will get a clean plant. I've had great luck with Red Mangroves seedling in a marginal tank to help remove nitrogen. Take Care I've had some problems and quite a few people from this site helped me out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store