Transporting filter media

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
Pretty much as the title says. In a few months I'm going to be moving to another state, a roughly 12 hour drive give or take. Of course the aquarium will have to be completely broken down. Is there any way you guys would recommend transporting the filter media to keep the biological bacteria alive to avoid a possible recycle or crash of the tank once setting it up again? Filters are going to be cleaned 100% for transportation minus the media of course.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Pretty much as the title says. In a few months I'm going to be moving to another state, a roughly 12 hour drive give or take. Of course the aquarium will have to be completely broken down. Is there any way you guys would recommend transporting the filter media to keep the biological bacteria alive to avoid a possible recycle or crash of the tank once setting it up again? Filters are going to be cleaned 100% for transportation minus the media of course.

I personally would go pickup a battery operated air pump and place media in a tote or bucket of aquarium water and you will be fine.

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
I've already got a high end air pump and an adapter for the car to help with the fish.(thanks Irma) lol so I guess that works since it has 2 lines, one for fish and one for media. It cant stay in stagnant water? I rather use both lines for the fish

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've already got a high end air pump and an adapter for the car to help with the fish.(thanks Irma) lol so I guess that works since it has 2 lines, one for fish and one for media. It cant stay in stagnant water? I rather use both lines for the fish
Personally wouldn't trust leaving media in a tote or bucket without oxygen. If your lfs has pure oxygen they could fill a bag with the media that would work also. That's how most vendors ship fish over 24 hrs.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I'd just put in a bag or something with enough water to cover it and a lot of air. If it's good enough for fish it's good enough for some bacteria.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Many people overthink doing this. Just keep the bio media in tank water or treated water. The only problem you would have is if it dries out. I'd have some Seachem Stability for when you have it up and running and dose it as if it were a new set up as a precaution.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Unless you are takumi from Initial D, i don't see how you can have stagnant water in a 12 hour drive.... the movement of water while driving will result in transfer of oxygen to the water.. which would be similar to if you have a air line in it.... the air from the air pump does not pump oxygen....

but then again, maybe you really are takumi....

http://www.firsttankguide.net/airpump.php

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Unless you are takumi from Initial D, i don't see how you can have stagnant water in a 12 hour drive.... the movement of water while driving will result in transfer of oxygen to the water.. which would be similar to if you have a air line in it.... the air from the air pump does not pump oxygen....

but then again, maybe you really are takumi....

http://www.firsttankguide.net/airpump.php

Maybe I'm Takumi lol. You are absolutely right the water movement will create oxygen I just want things to go smoothly.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Maybe I'm Takumi lol. You are absolutely right the water movement will create oxygen I just want things to go smoothly.
it will be a good precaution no doubt... but TS mentioned he would have preferred the 2 air lines to be with the fish... so just to assure him the media should be fine with no airline

alternatively, he can use a splitter for 1 of the outlet so he can have 1.5 air line in 1 and 0.5 air line in the media bucket lol

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store