Transporting new livestock

Datnoid042

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
I'm planning a trip to 3 pet stores, the trip is roughly 4 hours without considering in store time. Im looking for aggressive and community fish both (nothing bigger than 6-7"). We will be taking two 5 gallon buckets and a decent sized cooler with air pumps and heaters for each.

My question is what would be the best way to transport them from the store to my in-laws for the rest of the day and then transport 3 hours to my house the following day. Would it be best to let them float in the cooler/buckets until I get to my in-laws then acclimate or should I acclimate right after purchase? Obviously the health of the fish and keeping them as stress free as possible are my goals.
Thanks in advance

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Get yourself a few battery operated air pumps and keep the buckets in a location where there will be some amount of warmth.

Reactions: tlindsey

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Don't the store pack the fish for you in a bag filled with water and oxygen?

Just ask them to pack sufficient for 24hrs

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I should think one of the LFS must have basic stuff is oxygen supply for bagging fish

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Keep them in the bags, throw some blankets over them to keep them warm. They should be fine all day especially if packed with oxygen and not much water. Just check on them every once in a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store