MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I’m not sure what to try next. I have a group of 5 Rio Niltepec amphilophus trimaculatus that were all bought as a group at about 1.5” each. I’ve had the group since December of last year. There are two that have been separated from the rest for about 2 months in a hospital tank as they’ve fallen way behind in growth and haven’t been observed eating much at all if ever. They will mouth food as it comes down into the tank, but I have only seen them actually eat a few times and only a pellet or two at best.

The largest male I have is now close to 7” while these two are less than 3” each. I’ve put them through two separate full API General Cure treatments a month or so apart with no visible improvement. I do see stringy feces very intermittently but otherwise I don’t see much in the way of outward symptoms besides not eating or wanting to eat.

Is there something else I can try that won’t harm them further? Anything I can check other than water parameters (which are checked often and always good, as they were when in the larger 125 gallon tank)? Temps are 80f, nitrates are 5ppm or less, no ammonia etc. This is a fully cycled tank that has been established for over a year. I’m allowing the algae to grow on the back wall on purpose, so please don’t mistake that as an indication that this is an unmaintaned tank.

Short video here showing them as they look right now. I had just put in a frozen bloodworm cube to see if it would stimulate eating, but nothing happened with that. I removed it after a couple of minutes and cleaned up any remnants.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Deworm with levamisole HCL, you can find it at kensfish.com as Fritz Excel-P. It would be best is there was no substrate during treatment since you have to remove any paralyzed worms the next day.

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Deworm with levamisole HCL, you can find it at kensfish.com as Fritz Excel-P. It would be best is there was no substrate during treatment since you have to remove any paralyzed worms the next day.

Thank you for the advice! I just ordered a 20 pack box. I'll update this thread with the results and progress as I go through the treatment. Hoping this gets them back into good health.

Reactions: Rocksor

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Just to update this thread, I went through 2 treatments of Expel-P. One of the two fish died about 2 weeks afterwards but the other one is still alive now and finally eating like I would expect. I can’t be certain it was due to the meds as I never did see any expelled worms, but the fact that the fish’s appetite has returned and it is now growing leads me to believe it did help. Thanks again for your advice on this one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store