Trimac color

cichliddave

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Denham Springs La
What’s best to feed / best background to use. I’m currently feeding Northfin bug bites. They are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. No color at all. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

11C7AB4A-A861-4F8B-80B9-96722CDC0E4D.jpeg 4596E76C-4062-4E8C-BED8-D6A7040C0882.jpeg

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Picture 2 is a beauty. Dont stress at 3in no color. I've had some 6in no color then almost overnight they fire up. That's not the norm but happens. Dark nack ground and high protein diet can help but they need their greens also every once in a while. Lots water change. Many people over feed trimacs hoping to accelerate growth, color, spawning, etc and it can but also makes for weird adult shape, can shorten life and make lethargic at a young age. If you ever wanna sell pucture #2 lemme know, again its nice

Reactions: HybridFinatic

cichliddave

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Denham Springs La
Picture 2 is a beauty. Dont stress at 3in no color. I've had some 6in no color then almost overnight they fire up. That's not the norm but happens. Dark nack ground and high protein diet can help but they need their greens also every once in a while. Lots water change. Many people over feed trimacs hoping to accelerate growth, color, spawning, etc and it can but also makes for weird adult shape, can shorten life and make lethargic at a young age. If you ever wanna sell pucture #2 lemme know, again its nice
Thanks, what food would you suggest? Can you tell sex or is it to early? Their current separated in a 125 because of fighting.

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
At first glance they both appear to be male but there is no telling for sure at this size. I get jumbo shrimp online from Foster & Smith a huge jug for approximately $35.

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I mix up their diet. I do not feed every day letting their intestines empty. Because in the wild they eat insects and crustaceans and smaller fish which have vegetable matter in their stomach. We give prepared foods typically and I do not suggest feeders or tilapia but you can get the same effect with earthworms and shrimp and cheap packages of stewing seafood at Walmart Frozen. Their staple diet is typically a few different high quality cichlid pellets one of which should have some type of vegetable matter. I always check the protein percentages as well as moisture and fat. Every once in awhile I feed peas. Also on rare occasions I dissolve some Epsom salt and a multivitamin in a small container of water that came from the fish aquarium and with a net submerge their food letting it absorb the benefits of the vitamin. Epsom salt helps clean out the intestines.

cichliddave

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Denham Springs La
I mix up their diet. I do not feed every day letting their intestines empty. Because in the wild they eat insects and crustaceans and smaller fish which have vegetable matter in their stomach. We give prepared foods typically and I do not suggest feeders or tilapia but you can get the same effect with earthworms and shrimp and cheap packages of stewing seafood at Walmart Frozen. Their staple diet is typically a few different high quality cichlid pellets one of which should have some type of vegetable matter. I always check the protein percentages as well as moisture and fat. Every once in awhile I feed peas. Also on rare occasions I dissolve some Epsom salt and a multivitamin in a small container of water that came from the fish aquarium and with a net submerge their food letting it absorb the benefits of the vitamin. Epsom salt helps clean out the intestines.
Thanks for the input. On the peas frozen , can (probably not) or fresh?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree about having patience, the one below is approaching 5" and colors are still quite dull.

At 6" colors start showing in males.(females slightly smaller)

Female below starting to show spawning readiness color.

ritual colors in both above, and spawn

I agree with Mr Cichlid on diet

Reactions: tlindsey

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
Agreed..... I feed everything!
Varied to say the least.
Several different pellet foods.
Earthworms
Crickets
Shrimp
Jumbo freeze dried Krill
Moths
Geckos
June bugs
I also let algea grow in the tank for them to graze on.
AND I do not feed every day.....

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store