Trimac from Flowerhorn

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
There's a naturally occuring Parrot Cichlid. Are you sure guys sure they're not bred from those? I always read that Blood Parrots are sterile.

danny boy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
gatwick
you are right the parrots you are thinking of are a hybrid bred from i think severums and another fish but like an ass they are infirtile but two hybrid parrots have been bred many times but its unusual.

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
danny boy said:
you are right the parrots you are thinking of are a hybrid bred from i think severums and another fish but like an ass they are infirtile but two hybrid parrots have been bred many times but its unusual.
severums and Red devil :thumbsup:

And I believe that Texas Blues are in that group of FH!!! Blood Parrots are also use for short bodied FH's :thumbsup:

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
So a Flowerhorn is...Trimac, Red Devil, and Parrot which also consist of a Red Devil and a Severum. Right? :confused:

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
i think FH's have JD in them.

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
well there is a real parrot cichlid thats not a blood parot hybrid and females are not sterile only males and the agression is just a biproduct because they were bred for color not for temperment

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
lizardfishman said:
i think FH's have JD in them.
No JD in a flower horns, you can tell buy the body style of a FH!!!

Motag 7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2005
illinois
someone said that a FH gets its hump from a RD or a Midas, an RD hardly gets a hump, i had a 10" male there was aslight hump but nothing like my adult male midas

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
the are many types of flowerhorns and they're not all hybrids from the same species. the only species you can count on to be in most flowerhorns is the trimac, though I'm not so sure the trimac was used to create all the kamfas. it is possible though, but the kamfas usually look less like a trimac and more like a red devil/midas.

the flowerhorns with intense pearls could have been crossed with a red terror or more likely a carpintis. the FH's with a lot of pearling and blue lines on the face surely have carpintis in them.

FH's that get huge humps most likely have midas and/or synspilum in them as these 2 usually get very large humps (sexually active males anyway).

FH's that get a really intense red color on the head region most likely have a lot of synspilum in them. synspilums (good quality ones anyway) have a very intense red coloration all over their head (hence the common name of Red head or Firehead cichlid). a blood parrot or red devil could also be used to bring out the coloration, however the problem with this theory is the normal color of a blood parrot or red devil is usually orange and not red. most flowerhorns that are bred for color are usually bred to bring out intense reds and not oranges which is why I think synspilum is more likely.

:)

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
if the parrots are sterile, then how do we keep getting more of them??

:screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store