Trip to the Tropical Gar Farm - Prologue...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
free tropical baby for everyone?
-haha i wish! a tiny gar probably wouldn't make the trip so well though...and then there's customs too!--

amazing preview Solomon. be sure to get as many pics as possible if they allow, can't wait to see them!
-will do xander, definitely planning on taking as many pics as possible! there's a lagoon and zoo nearby too, may try to find some shots of wild ones if possible...or at least the habitat--

If you knew how much the farm charged for each baby tropical gar (it's almost free), then you'd throw a fit after seeing how much they're being sold for here in the U.S. even if shipping & such are taken into account.
-yeah, the current mark-up is pretty crazy, but when we first brought them in in 2005, a 4.5-5" fish was $300, and a 6" fish was $350...they were not cheap then, and they aren't cheap now either. we may look in to bring some in a bit later down the line, but nothing is in place for the near future at this time.--

I know Rapps just sold his last Tropical gar.... does solomon or anyone else involved in this thread know where I could get one? I'd really appreciate it.Thanks-Ryan
-see comments above. no plans right now, but perhaps in the not-so-distant future.--
--solomon

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
-yeah, the current mark-up is pretty crazy, but when we first brought them in in 2005, a 4.5-5" fish was $300, and a 6" fish was $350...they were not cheap then, and they aren't cheap now either. we may look in to bring some in a bit later down the line, but nothing is in place for the near future at this time.
--solomon
Back then it was a first time thing, though, and the farm was pretty new, too, if my memory serves me right; now they're producing a ton of them (mainly for food, though) as the video demonstrated, and those babies are sold by the farm for as much as a similar-sized Florida gar goes for in many stores in the States. Of course then, shipping & everything involved with importing them certainly adds up, too.

Just get yours to breed & call it good at that. :thumbsup: If I recall correctly, you do have at least one of each gender, right? Heck, maybe even try for a tropical gar x Cuban gar if you want to get fancy. :grinno:

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Put me on the list for TPG when you decide to bring some in. :nilly: need to go to bed.. gonna check out the links in the AM.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store