Tropical Pond population

Yann833

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Hi Guys!

I am finishing to build a pond (6m x 8m x0.8 h). All filtration system is ok but I have some question about the population:

I really want to insert 2 or 3 red tailed cat fish and if they can go together with a few other spices like stingray, gator or some shovel nose catfish would be great, but which one?

First how many of those fish can I keep in this kind of pond?
Can they live together?
As far I know RTC when adult they need to be feeded once a week... is so with the other species?
Part of the pond is covered by a small wooden bridge, will the fish hide under the bridge all day?
I will put some tropical water plants in big pots like lotus, there will be no gravel as i read is a no no for the RTC, sand would be ok? Or the stings will go under the sand all time?

I am living in Thailand so temperature is not a problem I guess. I have been in bangkok in a big fish market where there were sold fish from the small betta to majestic arapaima 1.5m++, there i saw fish I didn't even know were existing...

Thanks guys

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
All those fish can be kept in there but I would suggest only one redtail catfish as they may fight with own kind

Yann833

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Thank you for the answer, I didn't know that the will fight each other. For the other species will be ok to have a pair of each, maybe the stingrays 3 or 4?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for the answer, I didn't know that the will fight each other. For the other species will be ok to have a pair of each, maybe the stingrays 3 or 4?
I would go with one of each at first,then add a couple more stingrays if all is going well,this way u don't overload your ponds biological bacteria by adding them all at once.
For the bottom sand is a good choice

Yann833

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Ok I will start adding one by one.

For the sand then I will have to change the circulations pumps system as pick up form the bottom

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Yann833

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Do you have any idea of the water values. I guess that stingray are the most sensitive fish?.. In the past I used to keep fresh and saltwater tanks, especially with reef tanks water parameters must be very good in order to have healthy fish and growing corals.

Which test should i do?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Do you have any idea of the water values. I guess that stingray are the most sensitive fish?.. In the past I used to keep fresh and saltwater tanks, especially with reef tanks water parameters must be very good in order to have healthy fish and growing corals.

Which test should i do?
Nitrate/nitrite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store