Tropical Pond population

Yann833

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2018
Hi Guys!

I am finishing to build a pond (6m x 8m x0.8 h). All filtration system is ok but I have some question about the population:

I really want to insert 2 or 3 red tailed cat fish and if they can go together with a few other spices like stingray, gator or some shovel nose catfish would be great, but which one?

First how many of those fish can I keep in this kind of pond?
Can they live together?
As far I know RTC when adult they need to be feeded once a week... is so with the other species?
Part of the pond is covered by a small wooden bridge, will the fish hide under the bridge all day?
I will put some tropical water plants in big pots like lotus, there will be no gravel as i read is a no no for the RTC, sand would be ok? Or the stings will go under the sand all time?

I am living in Thailand so temperature is not a problem I guess. I have been in bangkok in a big fish market where there were sold fish from the small betta to majestic arapaima 1.5m++, there i saw fish I didn't even know were existing...

Thanks guys

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
All those fish can be kept in there but I would suggest only one redtail catfish as they may fight with own kind

Yann833

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2018
Thank you for the answer, I didn't know that the will fight each other. For the other species will be ok to have a pair of each, maybe the stingrays 3 or 4?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for the answer, I didn't know that the will fight each other. For the other species will be ok to have a pair of each, maybe the stingrays 3 or 4?
I would go with one of each at first,then add a couple more stingrays if all is going well,this way u don't overload your ponds biological bacteria by adding them all at once.
For the bottom sand is a good choice

Yann833

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2018
Ok I will start adding one by one.

For the sand then I will have to change the circulations pumps system as pick up form the bottom

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Yann833

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2018
Do you have any idea of the water values. I guess that stingray are the most sensitive fish?.. In the past I used to keep fresh and saltwater tanks, especially with reef tanks water parameters must be very good in order to have healthy fish and growing corals.

Which test should i do?

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
RTCs don't fight one another or other fish. Whatever they can't swallow are safe.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Do you have any idea of the water values. I guess that stingray are the most sensitive fish?.. In the past I used to keep fresh and saltwater tanks, especially with reef tanks water parameters must be very good in order to have healthy fish and growing corals.

Which test should i do?
Nitrate/nitrite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store