True Flowers

African_Fever

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Canada
I haven't been able to find too much in the way of info on schroederi like there is with motoros.

Are they much harder to keep? If you were to get one, would you get smaller or larger, and would one take to captivity better than the other? (ie. 6" vs. 10")

I'm looking at getting a couple more rays in the hopes of eventually getting a breeding project going, and am thinking that I'd like to get some flowers as the supplier I'm looking at has them at essentially the same price as motoros.

Thanks for the help!

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
I've never owned them myself, but my understanding is that they are considerably more fragile than motoros. They are also more shy and can be trickier about feeding but ultimately grow larger than motoros. As with most rays, I would imagine a larger specimen would be more hardy.

They are incredible looking rays - good luck if you decide to get one.

rob408

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2006
USA
I have a pair of flower rays that are just about as hardy as any other rays I've had (motoros). I think the trick is in the acclimation process. Once you get this down and keep up with water changes, everything will become easier.

Darin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Aclimate them slowly and keep em warm ( 86 deg. no less ). Have had flowers for 8 years now. Have a few at 25 inch plus and have raised them from young ones.
They need warm, I will repeat this again.
Once settled down ( 2 to 3 weeks ) then all should go fine for you as long as water stays clean and warm, be consistant in what and how you do things and all will be fine. One more thing, make sure you wintness them eating befor you buy them !!!
hope this helps, Tfd.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
get a long term captive if you can. They are much hardier. Mine is around 8" currently and eats a ton! Around 5 large shrimp a night. By comparison my 11" male motoro eats about 4 a night.

I have had some new imports in the past, they didnt do nearly as well. This guy is tough as a rock. ph is at like 8.4, temp is 81 or so, no ammonia, nitrites, and about 50 nitrates.

They are fairly hardy after a while. It is just the new guys that are tough.

conchabullosa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2006
Singapore
I have a pair of flowers for about 1 year. Personally, I believe flowers ( and tigers) are not for ray novices. They tend to be fussy eaters ( compared to Leos, pearls and motoros). I have always manage to convert all my other rays to take market prawns and cockles. With flowers they prefer to starve if there are no live feeders.They are also less aggressive in feeding when kept with other rays BUT they are beautiful which makes it worthwhile.

CIMG0020.JPG

African_Fever

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Canada
Thanks for all the info. As they're wild and I'd be bringing them in directly and won't be able to see them eat or anything, I think I'll wait a bit on the flowers and just a couple more motoros. They are definitely gorgeous rays though!

Thanks again!

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i have a flower now and its been a pain but was a good fish from the begining so all is good finally broke it to cut up night crawlers if you dont have patients dont get one

kwee_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Singapore
conchabullosa;700105; said:
I have a pair of flowers for about 1 year. Personally, I believe flowers ( and tigers) are not for ray novices. They tend to be fussy eaters ( compared to Leos, pearls and motoros). I have always manage to convert all my other rays to take market prawns and cockles. With flowers they prefer to starve if there are no live feeders.They are also less aggressive in feeding when kept with other rays BUT they are beautiful which makes it worthwhile.
wooot tat was a solid pc:)

Paul_MTS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2005
Essex- UK
Any tips on newly imported flowers?

I managed to to aclimatise a 7" flower last year but on 2 occasions since then trying to get her some mates I'ved had no success.

Admitidly the 2nd and 3rd time they were put in a large tank with other rays, but only rays like yepetzis, retics and hystrix.

My current flower has been unstable most of the year I'ved had her now, partly my own fault though for moving her between tanks, think I'ved justa about got her on the right track again now though.

Just off to up the temp as susgested above to try and improve the situation.

sorry to hi jack african_fever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store