True Redtailed Tinfoil Barbs

Dom84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2018
Does anyone in the SoCal area know of any LFS that sells these? (Preferably close to Long Beach) Scientific name Barbonymus altus (the ones that get to only about 8" or so). I dont want to end up getting Barbonymus schwanenfeldii, that get to 14"+ lol.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Does anyone in the SoCal area know of any LFS that sells these? (Preferably close to Long Beach) Scientific name Barbonymus altus (the ones that get to only about 8" or so). I dont want to end up getting Barbonymus schwanenfeldii, that get to 14"+ lol.
I have no idea where you get your source but B. altus doesn't stop at 8", you know they can grow up to 3kg or more? Same goes with the B. schwanenfeldii

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I have no idea where you get your source but B. altus doesn't stop at 8", you know they can grow up to 3kg or more? Same goes with the B. schwanenfeldii
Most online references including fishbase Suggest that 10” is exceptional in the aquarium for B. Altus.
I would be interested to see any evidence of B.Altus bigger than this, especially anything near adult schwananfeldii size or weight, for wild or otherwise.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Most online references including fishbase Suggest that 10” is exceptional in the aquarium for B. Altus.
I would be interested to see any evidence of B.Altus bigger than this, especially anything near adult schwananfeldii size or weight, for wild or otherwise.
Yea.. that's poorly gathered information. These fish are native in SEA, which where I'm from, but in my country they're invasive. Back in the day when freshwater fish aren't a big business in food industry, fish are plentiful & plenty of big sizes. I remember seeing a Tinfoil on the weight scale weigh 3kg. Massive fish.

I have no idea why people believe everything on Fishbase, most of it are not updated or limited sources.

Here's a few wild ones I got measure more than 12"
IMG_20200930_232828.jpg

IMG_20200930_232716.jpg

Even my shortbodies around 9-12"
Polish_20200930_144921349.jpg

These are sc from a youtube video of an Indonesian fishkeeper, 7 years old altus. The fish weigh at least 1.8kg & above. The photo he picked up the first left fish, the smaller ones.
Screenshot_20200930_232520.jpg

Screenshot_20200930_232504.jpg

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Are the Altus known to interbreed with schwananfeldii ?
Many of the photos show hints of black edging in the fins (Tail in particular) which would indicate schwananfeldii in the genes/lineage of the fish.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Are the Altus known to interbreed with schwananfeldii ?
Many of the photos show hints of black edging in the fins (Tail in particular) which would indicate schwananfeldii in the genes/lineage of the fish.
Have no idea but there's wild hybrid between Barbonymus schwanenfeldii & Hypsibarbus sp. Or maybe farm release, IDK, the whole thing kinda vague. About the photos, that's how altus looks like, they have either light or dark margin on their caudal fin. I've seen enough specimen to know that this is a norm in altus. But if you think it's otherwise, you can post your source here, the aforementioned original altus. I'm too intrigue if it is truly hybrids.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I can only go by the records in the British Museum of Natural History for the findings of Dr Albert Günther when he catalogued the fish in 1868. Barbus Altus had consistant colour caudal fin with the only hint of black found as a dark blotch in the dorsal fin.
As we know, the records show Schwanenfeldii has black edging around 2nd to 5th outer caudal rays.
I hypothesise that the two fish have since interbred to produce a hybrid fish matching neither true description of either fish in both coloration nor size characteristics however, am open to the theory also that Günther’s sample size may not have been significant enough to be truly reflective of the species.
Currently however I can find no DNA sampling data to prove or disprove Gunther’s original description of what we rightly or wrongly now consider Barbonymus Altus.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store