Trying this again....zebrina and discus

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
The last time I did this with domestics and it worked until I added a trio of diadema. Diadema were too active and spooked the discus and they succumbed.

Wilds are hardier and I figured I'll give this a try. Mainly because I found some Anushua Red Faced Johanna pikes I couldn't pass up.

So I pulled the zebrina and put them into my 180 wild red discus setup. I had to remove the tetras and the dwarf Notopthalmus pikes. I also had to reduce the number of angels to five and reduce my discus count to 9 to make it work.

I added three large sword plants and this had to add rocks to secure their roots. The hystrix in here always hides. Wondering if it's worth the bio load to keep him. I never see him.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: fattubwhale

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Looks great Rob- I have a lone zebrina with my domestic discus and so far so good... did you sell the other reds? and hit me up if you are moving the hystrix. Good luck!

Reactions: mrrobxc

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Have you kept any other rays with the hystrix? I found them to be way more personable when they had other rays to make them comfortable.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Looks great Rob- I have a lone zebrina with my domestic discus and so far so good... did you sell the other reds? and hit me up if you are moving the hystrix. Good luck!
Hey Jay. I still have 9 of the original 10 I bought. I traded in the one with the imperfection in its pattern.

Will let you know if I decide to pass on the hystrix.

Also, I got rid of one of my phones. Can you PM me your cell again?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Have you kept any other rays with the hystrix? I found them to be way more personable when they had other rays to make them comfortable.
I am thinking of putting it with my Motoros. Don't know if that is a good idea as the motoro are a lot bigger and my 220 is being pushed to the limit already with the motoro in there along with the anushua Johanna I'm getting. Oh yea...and that impulse buy male goldsaum I got today.

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
It is three large pieces of Malaysian wood I used to build a base. Then I added eight pieces of manzanita to create the root effect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store