Trying to ID these 2 beauties

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
aulonocara jacobfreibergi And the only thing I can tell about the other is it's an OB. Could be peacock but looks mbuna of some kind to me maybe OB zebra

Reactions: tlindsey

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ok then I think what I'm seeing then is a bit of circling for hierarchy as they are new to tank I thought 1 was male and the other female and petsmart only had them labelled as mixed cichlids and one was very beaten up so I brought it home. I'm gonna have to hit my LFS and grab a few females to reduce this tension in them. I had only gone there to upgrade my lights and grab some new air line tubing I couldn't stay away from the stock tanks ‍♂. I think they ll be ok after tnte and my bichirs come out of hiding and they see that there's much bigger fish in the tank lol.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
IMG_0355.PNG Okay the other pics weren't up before. The OB maybe be a peacock it as a different profile then an mbuna.this is an OB peacock. Look familiar?

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This is the new one I saved you can see he dorsal fin has a big chunk bitten out of it ! He shape looks a little different but my OB is more mature as well and filled out compared to this one. And face shape seems more pointed and not as round as the OB.
image.jpg I've got one almost identical to your pic except for its pink and has some electric blue on it.image.jpg This is what I had before

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
First pic is OB peacock second is mbuna
And that's exactly what I was sold the mbuna as from my LFS the OB had no label other than mixed cichlids @ petsmart - and based on your picy mbuna was only thing I had that looked similar. This is my first time keeping cichlids other than Rams so sorry for my lack of knowledge and what may seem like foolish questions. But based on the research I had done previously I had a guess that they were both some kind of peacock just based on their shapes but I needed confirmation. I have no other peacocks in my tank and only other time I ve seen them they were much younger and smaller than the ones I now show you.

Since I began the thread the circling has ended and it seems as though my ice blue female has taken a liking to the alunocara.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Africans are fighters they will bicker and pick all the time. The thing to watch for is true aggression and if you spend much time watching you will quickly learn the difference.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The best thing with Africans is to either have a lot so they can't establish their own territory or provide enough space that they don't feel threatened. Most choose to pack them tight.

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yeh I had noticed my red zebra chasing my yellow lab for weeks and the red zebra female. And I finally found out she was brooding. But that wasn't until I added 3 more female mbuna to the tank and she finally had less stress from
the males that she released them. And since then the aggression and chasin stopped completely. Now with the new peacocks I just had a few mins of circling amongst themselves to establish who was too peacock. The mbuna aren't paying them any mind and they ve slipped in seamlessly I'm glad I could save these 2 from the tanks they were being beaten up in. The alunocara was hiding in the back corner behind decor. If I hadn't climbed the employees step ladder I never would have seen him cowering in the back. Now he's got 125 gals of freedom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store