Trying to mix central and African

mikeybatsford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2021
Hi names Mike! I have 6 juvenile African cichlids in a 120 gallon tank I just tried to put two baby Jaguar cichlids in with them but the tiny jags are getting shredded they are about two inches each I only just ordered them. How can I figure this out? Shall I put the jags in another tank until the grow a little or is there any pro tips you can give me?!i they have been in there fours days now they are all eating well etc but the Africans are really aggressive. I have three red jewels two are a pair 1 female 2 males. I have a convict cichlid in there that’s a baby also he was the smallest in the tank before. And I have a yellow cichlid I think they are called yellow lighting? The Africans are very territorial but live ok. Have I put the jags in to early before they had a chance to grow? I know you are not supposed to mix but I got them all as babies pretty much so thought I would try but I’m fearing for the jags please help!!

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
What size and what kind of African cichlids-- mbuna, haps, peacocks or something else? While the answer doesn't change that ultimately it's a bad mix, it could help explain the reaction in terms of the behavior of different types.

Reactions: Bbuckley

mikeybatsford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2021
What size and what kind of African cichlids-- mbuna, haps, peacocks or something else? While the answer doesn't change that ultimately it's a bad mix, it could help explain the reaction in terms of the behavior of different types.
Three red jewel cichlids 3 inches long one yellow cichlid 4 inches long. And one black and white stripped cichlid 2 inches long. All African. 1 beistlenose pleco. 2 baby jags 1 inch long

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Juvie CA/SA cichlids IME can't hang with similar sized mbuna. Considerable difference in level of maturity between a 2" jag and a mbuna. That said if jag survives will turn the tide and due to predatory nature of this species will likely begin picking them off.

In the past I have had luck keeping smaller mbuna with less predatory CA species like citrenellum. The mbuna act as dither and as long as small hides don't get picked off.

mikeybatsford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2021
Juvie CA/SA cichlids IME can't hang with similar sized mbuna. Considerable difference in level of maturity between a 2" jag and a mbuna. That said if jag survives will turn the tide and due to predatory nature of this species will likely begin picking them off.

In the past I have had luck keeping smaller mbuna with less predatory CA species like citrenellum. The mbuna act as dither and as long as small hides don't get picked off.
Thanks for the response! Any tips? I have the water set on 27 atm should I lower it to try and curb aggression?

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Mbunas, west Africans and Central Americans I mix a lot with great results including presently, but keeping large predatory cichlids with smaller cichlids might not work...

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum.
Nothing you can do but remove the jags. African cichlids don’t let things they hate live long, and that currently includes those jags. If they don’t kill them, the jags will grow and kill everything else. Convicts and jewels are some of the only non rift lake cichlids that have long term success with rifties.
Often overstocking with mbunas helps to spread out targets, but they will still be ruthless.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Welcome to the forum.
Nothing you can do but remove the jags. African cichlids don’t let things they hate live long, and that currently includes those jags. If they don’t kill them, the jags will grow and kill everything else. Convicts and jewels are some of the only non rift lake cichlids that have long term success with rifties.
Often overstocking with mbunas helps to spread out targets, but they will still be ruthless.
Agree, pretty much the expected outcome. Jewel cichlids are unpredictable ime, some aren't bad and can even mix in a peaceful new world cichlid community-- I did it for a while ages ago, until I learned how a mean one can make a mess of even a much larger, less aggressive cichlid in minutes once they decide to. Mbuna vary by species, and some by individuals, but a lot of them are too aggressive for any but similarly aggressive fish.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Agree, pretty much the expected outcome. Jewel cichlids are unpredictable ime, some aren't bad and can even mix in a peaceful new world cichlid community-- I did it for a while ages ago, until I learned how a mean one can make a mess of even a much larger, less aggressive cichlid in minutes once they decide to. Mbuna vary by species, and some by individuals, but a lot of them are too aggressive for any but similarly aggressive fish.
Yes, mbunas are evil. My mbunas messed up a jewel, convict (now living happily in my ca cichlid tank), peacocks, rainbow fish, and lots of other mbunas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store