TSN x RTC hybrid

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I think with the bichir and ray you have enough bottom dwellers, aggression will come into play when they're hungry and being fed.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
As an alternative to another birchir you could look at something like a pterodoras granulosus or megaladoras uranuscopus. Assuming you have little in the way of cover you could maybe add one feature piece of wood as cover. A giraffe cat may also work since you will need a bigger tank at some point for the gar, arrowana and possibly ray anyway.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
How big does a tiger shovelnose x red tail catfish hybrid get?
about 1.5'-2' in year 1, then much slower, usually wouldn't exceed 3' unless kept long in a large tank and having ok genes. What we get are genetic refuse.

Ok, do you know any catfish that stay about 15-30 inches (except TSN) cause I can only find catfish that are under 10 inches or just 5 foot.
I'd suggest browsing Cat-eLog on Planet Catfish by several families - Pimelodidae, Doradidae, Heptapteridae, Ictaluridae, Pseudopimelodidae, Claroteidae, etc.

Tankmates are a silver arowana, 2 oscars, a retic stingray, ornate bichir, florida gar
Never kept rays, almost no experience with bichirs, so this would preclude me from giving the best advice.

2 meter long, 1 meter wide, 63 cm high
7 feet x 3.3 feet by 2 feet - that's a pretty good size tank but not huge.

Will a TSN or lima catfish work or will the bichir and ray starve to death?
Lima are too small and fragile to deal with an arowana and FL gar. TSN should be ok for 2-3 years in average circumstance.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Yannick-_-

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2020
As an alternative to another birchir you could look at something like a pterodoras granulosus or megaladoras uranuscopus. Assuming you have little in the way of cover you could maybe add one feature piece of wood as cover. A giraffe cat may also work since you will need a bigger tank at some point for the gar, arrowana and possibly ray anyway.
The tank is about 300 gallons and the retic stingray is 15 inches so he has more than enough space and arowana and gar too. Arowana needs a minimum of 250 gallons and florida gar 180 gallons.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... Arowana needs a minimum of 250 gallons and florida gar 180 gallons.
I apologize in advance because I don't know your level of experience and expertise in housing monster fish. What is the source of these numbers and are they for life?

This is doable, surely for some time, even many years, but at the face value it is debatable because "needs" is debatable... if the cited numbers are meant for lifetime.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
The tank is about 300 gallons and the retic stingray is 15 inches so he has more than enough space and arowana and gar too. Arowana needs a minimum of 250 gallons and florida gar 180 gallons.
Hi, I don't disagree that you have a very large tank and whilst the fish are small it will house them comfortably. You will with a tank of this size be able to house the fish for a good number of years, however, not for the suggested life span and adult sizes of some of the fish. Hence the comment still stands and is valid. If you have a male teacup stingray it should be able to live for life to full size in a 6*3 tank. However, if you have a female retic stingray many suggest a tank of 8*3 is required due to their larger size. (I don't keep stingrays so have no experience).
Your arrowana however could reach 36" in length and there is no experienced fishkeeper of any worth that will tell you a 2m* 1m tank is big enough to house a 1m fish (even a 300 gal one).
Your gar will actually need a larger tank than your arrowana too due to its potential size ( 3ft again) but also his scales, which are diamond shape and do not let him turn or manoeuvre easily (although he is more sedentary).
As said though, assuming you keep your fish happy, alive and well, you should get many years before needing to move to a bigger tank or pond.
Please do not go by Wikipedia or similar for the stated tank sizes or volumes. If you want to use anything As a guide then use tank width = 2* max fish length, tank length = 4* max fish length. So for full grown adults you will need a tank of 12ft* 6ft. But it will take many years to get to that point.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Fishman Dave Fishman Dave I am not sure I agree with what was stated above sure in an ideal world but the reality is not every one has the experience or money to purchase and maintain a 12ft beast of a tank sure we would all love one who on this site would not? but I think the bare minimum for aros would be 8x3 ideally x4 but yes I do agree that the fish will have a better life in the demensions you stated also Yannick-_- Yannick-_- maybe consider a jardini or a asian aro instead as they might be able to live long term in your tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store