TULIP EEL

pocono

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2021
anyone remmember the tulip eels that used to be a dime a dozen back 20-30 years ago,you use to find them in any pet store,they use to stick straight up in the tank with there head facing the top of the tank and wait for a fish to swim by,and then strike so fast you could not even see it,one of the fastest strikes of any fish,they got big to over 20 inches and inch thick. these still for sale in the hobby? anyone keep?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yes. See them online. Aqua imports and blue grass aquatics usually carry them.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Monopterus albus is established in Florida. They aren't typically albino, but the name does confuse people. I have never seen the strike quickly. When I kept them in tanks years ago they were pretty poor predators. They would eat crawfish and bugs pretty well, but fish only really disappeared at night. They escape fairly easily. You can still find them. They pop up on fish farms with some regularity, but they don't get sold too often as demand is not strong. If you push your LFS they can still get them they just have to ask their wholesaler. They usually end up retailing around $60.

Here is a good article on them that was done when everyone was really worried about what they were eating.
untitled (tsusinvasives.org)

pocono

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2021
i think i found them on some older posts, look like the marbled swamp eels. Synbranchus marmoratus i see they get 4ft and thick and strike super fast on live fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

Manning99

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2020
Joe, one of my LFS has these in at present here in the uk so if they are seasonal, now would be the time to look for them I guess if you were after one.
Noticed in your goonch post you talked about pier aquatics so I assume your relatively close to me, which lfs has these in stock if you dont mind me asking?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Wharf down in pinxton nr derby.I am fortunate to be nr leeds so half way between wharf and pier. Not near enough to be there every weekend and skint, but near enough to go get whatever I really want in an afternoon round trip to either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store