Turnkey display aquarium

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Yes I have looked around. I’m leaning on a 440 setup from FTD with a stand and hood. I think I will have to go with a metal stand for the obvious reasons of weight. I’ve been trying to figure if it’s better to just run two large Fluval canisters, a pond canister, or include their sump. FTD offers sumps but they are expensive. Do people go sumps over large canisters because they build their own sumps and that makes them much cheaper alternatives to canisters, and thus, the preferred choice? Am I missing something by just going fluval canisters or one pond canister?
Sumps can be expensive I‘ve got a 180g (6’x30”x20”) with L2 pumps... 8.5 turnover rate per hour, $300 in media... seems silly... want great water!

Can your water be too clean? Or would you like more time to enjoy fish? Water is expensive here sadly, less filtration = more water changes... more electricity though...

Spend the money on good sump! Your fish will thank you! You may need the canisters too, I’d imagine their sump is not up to MFK standards...

If your going with 440 and everything possibly I’d imagine you’ll be under $10k for sure...

Ya, under $10k good luck! Exciting making this kind of purchase!

51B86BB7-CBC5-4F45-A279-27512EB1A2E7.png

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
By turn key I meant order everything all at once from one source, so that when it does arrive I start cycling the water, and it’s front room display worthy. Does that make sense?
Yes, it does. I set up something similar in the last few months, albeit a 260 gallon. I already had the metal stand and wood wrap and did my own plumbing.

If I were you and wanted turn key as you described: I'd get the 440 acrylic tank, 6 feet BashSea sump, metal stand with wood wrap. I prefer no hood and I have cut out polycarbonate lids with locking mechanism (arowana). I'd have them run all the PVC plumbing for the tank drain and returns based on the PVC of your choice to tank and sump. If you set it up right I would skip the canisters as I feel the sump should be more than sufficient. FTD sells Bashsea.

If FTD does a nice job it WILL be the center piece for your room both tank and underneath the stand. I got my tank at MidWest Customs.

Reactions: dr exum

ahrooo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2013
California
Sumps can be expensive I‘ve got a 180g (6’x30”x20”) with L2 pumps... 8.5 turnover rate per hour, $300 in media... seems silly... want great water!

Can your water be too clean? Or would you like more time to enjoy fish? Water is expensive here sadly, less filtration = more water changes... more electricity though...

Spend the money on good sump! Your fish will thank you! You may need the canisters too, I’d imagine their sump is not up to MFK standards...

If your going with 440 and everything possibly I’d imagine you’ll be under $10k for sure...

Ya, under $10k good luck! Exciting making this kind of purchase!

View attachment 1404708
Is there a specific sump you would buy for this tank, or just purchase what they have to offer?

Reactions: dr exum

ahrooo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2013
California
Yes, it does. I set up something similar in the last few months, albeit a 260 gallon. I already had the metal stand and wood wrap and did my own plumbing.

If I were you and wanted turn key as you described: I'd get the 440 acrylic tank, 6 feet BashSea sump, metal stand with wood wrap. I prefer no hood and I have cut out polycarbonate lids with locking mechanism (arowana). I'd have them run all the PVC plumbing for the tank drain and returns based on the PVC of your choice to tank and sump. If you set it up right I would skip the canisters as I feel the sump should be more than sufficient. FTD sells Bashsea.

If FTD does a nice job it WILL be the center piece for your room both tank and underneath the stand. I got my tank at MidWest Customs.
Thanks, I am buying a house right now and the only way the fiancé will allow a big tank in the front room is if it’s “pretty”! I will have to call FTD to see if they can assist me with the PVC as you e described.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Is there a specific sump you would buy for this tank, or just purchase what they have to offer?
The biggest one possible, maybe 120g probably at least.

Experts will chime in, it seems gold standard is a 10x turnover period hour, some say 5x...

You can always turn pumps down if it’s too much...

Reactions: Zanzag

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Thanks, I am buying a house right now and the only way the fiancé will allow a big tank in the front room is if it’s “pretty”! I will have to call FTD to see if they can assist me with the PVC as you e described.
I definitely get it about looking nice...at least nice for me and my family. I read alot of where folks got their acrylic tanks on MFK as well. I ended up going with Midwest Customs given the tanks of members on here. I also liked what I saw on their website...particularly overflows and polished seams, sunken tank lids, etc. Chris is busy, but good to work with. All just felt he'd deliver the craftsmanship I wanted.

Based on what I've looked into before FTD should be good too. Just make sure you over communicate what you want and where you want their inputs too. For example, Chris said he would only use no less than 3/4" cast acrylic for the sides and would be ok with 1/2" top and bottom for my dimensions. I ended up going 3/4" just for aesthetics and increased safety.

I bought the 48" Bashsea Smart Series sump from Premium Aquatics. Obviously almost any tank would work, but I wanted something looking good AND met what I needed in terms of layout. I also picked that over the other models for where the drain bulkheads were located for my drain plumbing.

Happy to share some visuals if you'd like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store