UK pond fish

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
U.K. its hard to get hold of them, I have been looking for channel cats for ages, hardly ever see them here
Well you pond really isn't big enough for channels, however you could make a good deal of change if you started to import some of our natives

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
U.K. its hard to get hold of them, I have been looking for channel cats for ages, hardly ever see them here
Well you pond really isn't big enough for channels, however you could make a good deal of change if you started to import some of our natives

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If I went that way do you know anywhere I could get them
Channels are everywhere , however if you want cheap farm raised catfish Arkansas has a lot of ponds, many of the other natives can be collected with a fishing license, for example most states let you collect your own baitfish, and that can be a broad category, also many states will allow you to take lots of rough (nongame) fish, taking sportfish tends to be more complicated tho.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
channel cats are no good for a small pond in the uk its too cold. My current pond is much bigger and about to get bigger again that's why I am looking at channel cats. Long term a 6x4 pond is best for minnows, stickle backs or smaller fish. 1 or 2 perch might do well for a while, trout would also out grow it. Tench in particular golden ones would add some colour.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
if you want something different in a small pond why not look at planting it and adding some fathead minnows and newts ? No point going for stuff that soon out grows.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
channel cats are no good for a small pond in the uk its too cold. My current pond is much bigger and about to get bigger again that's why I am looking at channel cats. Long term a 6x4 pond is best for minnows, stickle backs or smaller fish. 1 or 2 perch might do well for a while, trout would also out grow it. Tench in particular golden ones would add some colour.
They do just fine in Canada lol, or in trout streams.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Cannels are perfect for koi ponds where trout might also do well. A 6ft x 4ft pond is not such a great place for them. Another option if your pond is covered might be local marine. Rock pool fish would be very cool and unusual. If you have kids collecting would also make a great day out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store