underfloor heating question

underfloorheatingguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
edmonton
did you learn the term "hot water tank pop off" in school. haha. so every time your hwt heats up, it has nowhere to expand because of your check valves and it will open your T&P valve. good idea. I've been installing underfloor heating for 20 years and plumbing for a lot more. 99% of houses in our area do not have exp. tanks on hwt's, thers just no need to unless you install check valves. you should sell me some of those recirc pumps with timers for $100, i'll make a fortune. You should get your license revoked if you ever tried what your proposing. My advise to anyone is do it right the first time and save yourself time and money in the end.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
300-500? http://simplyplumbing.com/grundfos-up15-10su7ptlc.html
this is the publics price, supply houses are cheaper.

my advise is to not listen to someone who doesnt even keep fish or hasnt even posted anywhere else on our forum showing any interest in fish, and claims to contact them because they can get you the best prices around.

expansion tanks are required on all new construction according the the upc code book, and the timer on the recirc pump wouldnt be required in this application, due to the fact that it would be activated by a temperature controller used for aquarium applications.

if i went to school to learn how to plumb(you posted you did and then think its funny that i supposedly did?:ROFL:) i proboably wouldve used the term tps valve instead of pop-off. the only way to get a journeyman liscence in my state is in the field, no school can buy that.

underfloorheatingguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
edmonton
I was making fun of you when I said "pop off" because that was the term you used in the post before!!!!! idiot. you just made fun of yourself. good try though, you almost sounded like you knew what you were talking about.
actually I have 7 koi that are about 10"-12" long in my backyard and designed a system to keep them in there all year long(even in -40 degree weather) but by no means know lots about fish. But I know everything you need to know about boilers and plumbing and underfloor heating. whatever, this is why underfloor heating gets a bad wrap because people do not know what they are doing then complain when it's wrong and doesn't work. I agree that the field is the best way to learn but you also need schooling and courses especially when it comes to hydronic heating. I'll be glad when it is it's own trade and people that don't know what they are doing will not be allowed to do it. by the way the retail was $441 on that pump, I agree though that it doesn't always cost that much but never $100.

underfloorheatingguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
edmonton
I'll agree. haha just kidding. I just like things done right, your idea would probably work but you have to agree that it's just not right. For a DIY your way might work but as a professional I just can't do it that way, my career is on the line. If the system was turned off, now you have stagnant water in the lines that could be 10 years old or more, not worth the chance of a lawsuit if the system ever turned on and someone got sick. Our code states it has to be periodically circulated to prevent this, it's more for a heating system where it is shut off in the summer. no hard feelings. I do want to get more fish now that I found this site, hopefully my other fish are not fishcicles in my pond

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
An 11 year bump, impressive. It could be a new mfk record...

Ok but seriously, check the dates on the threads mate, this was last replied to 11 years ago or so. On the other hand it was an interesting read.

Last edited:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Underfloor heating is a good idea. I considered this, but i choose standard way like coal. This one http://www.kinvestments.eu/offer/bituminous-coal is very good, but sometimes i think that i should choose something more eco friendly.
Hello; I live in a TVA power grid area. Although some coal fired power plants have been closed I think there are still a few around. I have a heat pump as my main heat/cooling so at least some of the electricity is from coal. About eight years ago I woke up one morning with the air temp at five below zero and no electric power. Lucky that the power was only off a few hours.
I have since installed a Buck stove that can burn either coal or wood and use it from time to time. So far only have burned wood. Of course the power has not failed in extreme cold weather since I got the Buck. I do build a fire when the temp is to stay below freezing at day and in the low teens at night. I have not burned coal as yet because wood is easy to buy around me. I do like being warm on those very cold nights compared to a heat pump with which I rarely felt warm.
Burning coal at a home use to be very common in my area. My brother was a coal miner for over twenty years and now teaches mine safety classes to new miners. I get that coal can be a source of CO2 and some other emissions. I also know a number of folks who feed their families by mining coal.
If I had to have a fire every day for heat it would be coal. For occasional fires the wood does well enough and I can spread the wood ashes over my grass. Coal ash is not so easy to deal with that way.
I thought about a new system such as geo-thermal and solar panels. The initial cost is way too high and at my age I will never break even. Might add to resale value of a home if these systems do in fact endure and function long term.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store