Uneven stand

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I have read about putting a layer of foam. What do you think? I just can't wrap my head around how foam would help, considering how heavy the full tank is.
no, its a rimmed tank, the foam or cardboard is for none rimmed tanks. Now days if you do put it under the tank will void the warranty on a rimmed tank, Its made for the tank to ride on that rim.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would be very careful not to over flow on water change , something I do quite often, I tend to try to multi task, Particle board and water do not mix, turns the board to crud.

Reactions: tlindsey

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
on a side note, that is not a happy looking Oscar.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
yup, :)

Reactions: Meg23

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
More pics of the stand?

I agree it doesn't look great, 120g isn't massive by MFK standards but it's still a LOT of water when it's spread out all over your floor. I have no experience with rimmed tanks, but I think it's wise to err on the side of caution when it comes to stands for larger aquariums.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Can you swap out particle board for actual plywood? M Meg23

Meg23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Can you swap out particle board for actual plywood? M Meg23
Yes. I've got my cousin coming in the morning to help me replace the top. My gut told me to do it when I saw the particle board but I just wanted to get it set up. Lesson learned cause now I have to drain the whole thing and move the poor fish again.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I didn't know particle board was a problem! Were the previous owners just lucky?!
hello; Yes most likely.
I should drain the tank and fix the top of the stand
hello; YES.

I think shims just going to bow the particle board more.
Hello; This.
I just can't wrap my head around how foam would help, considering how heavy the full tank is.
Hello; I think the theory is the foam board will give where the pressure is greater and thus even out the pressure under the tank. forum members have reported mixed opinions on this practice.
r
from pics it does not look to be worth trying to rebuild.
hello THIS.
Particle board and water do not mix, turns the board to crud.
Hello; this as well. I used to install carpet and vinyl flooring. In the mobile homes of the 1970's I would have to replace particle board in bathrooms and kitchens quite often.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store