PA
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
5 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I am hoping you guys can help as I have been dealing with this problem for years that seems to come back every so often. My fish get cloudy eyes with white patches and a some get a white slime coating with some that it hangs off them. My water parameters are fine, but I have historically had a PH that measures at 6.0 with the API kit so it may be lower. I am going to put some crushed oyster shells in to help with that as I have in the past, but I haven't recently for the past few years. I do have driftwood in my tank and my water is very soft from the tap. I do weekly to biweekly 30% water changes. I have mostly natives blue gills, pumpkinseed, LMB, and I have an Oscar. This is so frustrating because I have tried treatments over the years and nothing seems to eradicate this so I feel like it has to be something else. This tank has been running since 2009 and I have had various deaths over the years when they develop this white mess.

In the past I thought that my fish might have VHS as natives in PA do carry that.

This is a 210 gallon with a 40 gallon sump

IMG_20200702_155331.jpg

Last edited:

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
The fish in that picture developed that in one day as I just added him yesterday, but the rest have some of the same symptoms. This guy is just the worst.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The fish in that picture developed that in one day as I just added him yesterday, but the rest have some of the same symptoms. This guy is just the worst.

I suggest you gradually up your water changes and do them weekly. What is your PH out of the tap in your area?

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I suggest you gradually up your water changes and do them weekly. What is your PH out of the tap in your area?
+1 I’d assume it’s due to the low ph. Once corrected it should be fine.

Reactions: tlindsey

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
Thank you guys so much for your replies! Immediately after I took those pictures, I performed a water change. About 5 hours later the fish look much better!

I tested my tapwater and it is a 6.8. So if I up my water changes it should do the trick!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you guys so much for your replies! Immediately after I took those pictures, I performed a water change. About 5 hours later the fish look much better!

I tested my tapwater and it is a 6.8. So if I up my water changes it should do the trick!
Water changes and adding some crushed coral to keep it from dropping if it’s that low.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store