Unofficial Thread For Desert-Type Reptiles

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hello guys! I thought it was a good idea to create an unofficial thread for all of y’all that have reptiles. For example, I have a Bearded Dragon, and Desert Tortoises. One of the Desert Tortoises escaped a few days ago. He spent the night in the neighbors yard ?. Here are some pics:

image.jpg

One of my Desert Tortoises. His name is Lucky. He’s been constopated since last August. He had a 1 and 3 chance of living 6 months. He is almost better now. He is siblings with the one shown under. They are about 3 years old, and 5 and a half inches.

image.jpg

This is another Desert Tortoise of mine. His name is Spike. He pushed through a piece of wood a few days ago, and spent the night lost. Found him in the afternoon

image.jpg

This is my 4 year old Bearded Dragon. He has an outside cage made of chicken wire that I made for him; probably over 400 Gallons. He is shedding now, and usually ends up eating his own skin for calcium! We feed him Cockroaches, Tomato Worms and Inch Worms we find in our garden, Mealworms, Grasshoppers, Crickets, and occasionally Black Fly Larvae. His staple food is Sweet Potato and Cockroaches (we have a colony).

If anyone else wants show us some of your Tortoises or Desert Lizards *, please do!

* The reason I call them Desert Lizards is because Hendre made a post about Crested and New Caledonian Geckos. Hope you don’t mind that I took your idea, Hendre.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Also, the desert tortoises are in a 10 foot cubed wood and chicken wire cage that we move around the yard to give them sun, and stimulation. We also take them out of the cage and sit outside with them everyday. My Beardy (Sunny) is in a old sandbox. We recreated it to house a Bearded Dragon. At first, we had our tortoises in with Sunny, but Sunny kept bullying them, so we made them a large, thin cage.

Also, the tortoise got constipated by eating gravel we got from Home Depot in the cage with Sunny. The gravel was like the gravel in the desert. The tortoise ate some white gravel (thinking it was calcium). He got blocked, and wouldn’t eat. We needed to add a feeding tube. It was a lot of money and work, and at one time, we considered putting him down. Like I said, he had a 1 in 3 chance of surviving 6 months. We are Lucky he has survived a whole year. His constipation is getting better. Haha! Now I’m realizing I explained tortoise constipation! Just if you were interested

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hello guys! I thought it was a good idea to create an unofficial thread for all of y’all that have reptiles. For example, I have a Bearded Dragon, and Desert Tortoises. One of the Desert Tortoises escaped a few days ago. He spent the night in the neighbors yard ?. Here are some pics:

View attachment 1430594

One of my Desert Tortoises. His name is Lucky. He’s been constopated since last August. He had a 1 and 3 chance of living 6 months. He is almost better now. He is siblings with the one shown under. They are about 3 years old, and 5 and a half inches.

View attachment 1430591

This is another Desert Tortoise of mine. His name is Spike. He pushed through a piece of wood a few days ago, and spent the night lost. Found him in the afternoon

View attachment 1430596

This is my 4 year old Bearded Dragon. He has an outside cage made of chicken wire that I made for him; probably over 400 Gallons. He is shedding now, and usually ends up eating his own skin for calcium! We feed him Cockroaches, Tomato Worms and Inch Worms we find in our garden, Mealworms, Grasshoppers, Crickets, and occasionally Black Fly Larvae. His staple food is Sweet Potato and Cockroaches (we have a colony).

If anyone else wants show us some of your Tortoises or Desert Lizards *, please do!

* The reason I call them Desert Lizards is because Hendre made a post about Crested and New Caledonian Geckos. Hope you don’t mind that I took your idea, Hendre.
At 4years old he should be eating more veg.
He's pretty!

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
He is eating veggies. He just LOVES sweet potato. He usually eats the tops of strawberries, peas from our garden, sorrel from our garden, basil, and sometimes Cucumber chunks. Thanks! I think he's pretty myself!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Love that beardie! I have a friend who is selling 4 full grown ones and was thinking about getting one. I guess nugget cant join the thread :ROFL: :cry:

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
This can be a full reptile thread. Beardies are awesome! You just need to feed them, and get a heat lamp. It’s easy. It’s also a commitment. Once you get everything done and ready, they are easy! Anybody else wanna show there reptiles?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Cheeseburger!!!! What!? I like it when they puff up. They look evil when they puff up! Yours is pretty!

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Cool thread also we need a mod too take this out of the general aquaria and put it in the reptiles subforum
kno4te kno4te
Hendre Hendre

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store