Unpopular Opinions - Bichirs

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They are super cool! But also kinda just logs…I tend to prefer taller bodied fish.
Otherwise not much negative to say. They are fine in “community” tanks as long as good tankmates are chosen.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Not my cup of tea at all (in fact, they're the cup of tea that burnt my mouth. Lol).

Anyone who doesn't know me ought to look in my signature. To me they are an ugly, drab danger to my favorite fish that amount to nothing less than a total waste of tank space (no disrespect to bichir fans intended, of course. This is an opinion thread and this opinion is mine).

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Not my cup of tea at all (in fact, they're the cup of tea that burnt my mouth. Lol).

Anyone who doesn't know me ought to look in my signature. To me they are an ugly, drab danger to my favorite fish that amount to nothing less than a total waste of tank space (no disrespect to bichir fans intended, of course. This is an opinion thread and this opinion is mine).
I agree some are ugly and do take up space lol. I was introduced to the Polypterus from a member and good friend isde02 isde02 ? My biggest fascination with the Polypterus is the prehistoric history so if you like Dinosaurs than you understand why I like the Polypterus so much. BTW my wife always says you like ugly things ?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I was obsessed with dinosaurs when I was small, yes (as we all were lol). But that was for the sake of Jurassic Park and whatnot as opposed to the prehistoric history, so ancient fish never really caught on to me.

LOL about your wife. That made me chuckle.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Here is an unpopular opinion I have.

You can keep plecos with bichirs as long as you stay away from the mainly omnivores species, and specifically the Pterygoplichthys genus. However you do still need to keep an eye out for slime coat sucking. Usually any of the cactus or vampire types work just fine. Total I have tried probably 30 species of pleco and have only had problems with the Pterygoplichthys genus

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
They are not really fish are they?

I just cannot understand the appeal.
+1. As you could probably tell from my signature and what I said in this thread earlier, lol.

Reactions: Midwater

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
'In the wild, when a territorial animal comes into contact with another conspecific (belonging to the same species), the smaller animal has the freedom to leave the situation to avoid conflict. In contrast, within a captive environment, the smaller animal doesn’t have the choice; it needs to develop a language to communicate that it is submissive and doesn’t wish to fight. For many species this communication isn’t an option, and they will inevitably clash. Yet for a few of the more tolerant semi-aggressive species, it formed the foundation for a unique social hierarchy to develop in many captive-raised animals - notably bearded dragons and, more recently observed, the bichirs. Similar to carp and salmon, bichirs release a hormone into the water, that, in a closed environment such as a small lake, will stunt their growth - nature’s ingenious resolution to overcrowding. It is speculated that this is where the bichir’s submissive language first originated.

i mean they are:
-older then dinosaurs
-they have lungs
-they are social and even developed a 'language' to communicate in the aquarium hobby.
-they are intelligent
-i love their back fins, almost dragon like
- they eat out your hand and really like to chill with people. I mean mine comes to sit in my hand even when im not feeding. he just really chills in my hands, he can stay there for hours if my back wouldnt hurt after 20min. :hearts:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store