Unusual patches on senegal bichirs

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Hendre Hendre , Possible it could be the syno... Might Google search 'Synodontis slime sucking', lots of different things out there about it.

I was considering a large syno species for a while but had heard some do suck the slime coats so I did not end up doing it.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hendre Hendre , Possible it could be the syno... Might Google search 'Synodontis slime sucking', lots of different things out there about it.

I was considering a large syno species for a while but had heard some do suck the slime coats so I did not end up doing it.
They do have a rasping motion of the mouth when eating food. Esp veggies. Think DMD123 DMD123 might likely be right. Separate the syno and see if the spots disappear.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's definitely plausible. Then would the rope fish not also have spotting? The syno is the fattest fish in the tank so I'd be surprised if it's still wanting food.

I retested and found .5 ppm ammonia, will do a water change ASAP

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
That's definitely plausible. Then would the rope fish not also have spotting? The syno is the fattest fish in the tank so I'd be surprised if it's still wanting food.

I retested and found .5 ppm ammonia, will do a water change ASAP
I kept sydontis with poly's and ropefish a year ago. Never had problems with them sucking on the poly's. I dont think that the sydontis are the cause.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I kept sydontis with poly's and ropefish a year ago. Never had problems with them sucking on the poly's. I dont think that the sydontis are the cause.
For those that have not seen my thread in the catfish forum. The syno was the cause! It almost removed the entire slimecoat of a sen :banhim:

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Vitiligo is very possible. I believe it occurs in most species of animals. But I am pretty new to fish keeping, and read most of the diseases that affect the fish I will get. Vitiligo is very uncommon, but it could be that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store