UPDATE/noob questions

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
So everything is looking so far so good with just the temp/salt and the one with the bad eye is getting better and the cloudiness is slowly going away but he still cant see out of it. So thinking of the future of these monster fish I have a couple question

-What would you guys recommend in tank mates? Im thinking of getting a couple arowwanas that are around 5-8in and maybe some catfish and some rays if I can find a good price for the 200gal tank.

-Why is it in the sticky on training on pellets that I would have to wait till their 6in or so to train them on pellets??

-What pellets did you guys use when you have them converted......My fish are currently just eatting and spiting it out which is a good sign right??

-What would a good size tank be for 14-16 bass?

-Do bass prefer no, moderate, or high flow.......wave maker vs powerhead??

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
-What would you guys recommend in tank mates? Im thinking of getting a couple arowwanas that are around 5-8in and maybe some catfish and some rays if I can find a good price for the 200gal tank.

-Why is it in the sticky on training on pellets that I would have to wait till their 6in or so to train them on pellets??

-What pellets did you guys use when you have them converted......My fish are currently just eatting and spiting it out which is a good sign right??

-What would a good size tank be for 14-16 bass?

-Do bass prefer no, moderate, or high flow.......wave maker vs powerhead??
silver or black arowana should work but not jardini. Datnoid is another good tankmate.

I feed my bass hikari bio gold and tetra sticks. Hikari is cleaner and fish do not produce as much waste. My bass prefer moderate current.

The reason to wait until 6” to pellet train is so they can bulk up.

Reactions: mrrobxc

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
So if my bass are around 3-4in now should the arrowana be at least twice their size??

So does that mean I should hold off on the trainning them to pellets becasue I have been trying for some time now and all they hit the pellets and kill and just spit it out.

What is everyone setup for far with bass count and size, tank size, and flow??

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Ok so this is my experience keeping peas and aros. Arowana are extremely skidish as juveniles and are not good tankmates for bass. Feeding the aro will be challenging because the bass will eat everything that enters the tank and will quickly out grow the aro. This doesn’t mean it’s not possible just that it will be challenge. As far as keeping multiple aros goes that’s probably a bad idea as arowana tend to try to kill other aros. This is only my opinion and is not a end all be all.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
So if my bass are around 3-4in now should the arrowana be at least twice their size??

So does that mean I should hold off on the trainning them to pellets becasue I have been trying for some time now and all they hit the pellets and kill and just spit it out.

What is everyone setup for far with bass count and size, tank size, and flow??
i agreed with wolfman. I’d try mixing them at about 10-12” when the aro pack some size.

If your bass are hitting the pellets then there is a good chance they will take it. IMHO if your bass are not too skinny I’d starve them 3 days then start pellet training. Don’t go more than 7 days without eating. The sticky is a golden rule to help newbies out but there are always exception.

As for setup for bass they need heavy bio and mechanical filtration. Strong Filtration is a critical component to keeping healthy bass. They also don’t like super hard water. As they get bigger some bass can get HITH disease and it’s still being researched on the causes.

Reactions: Tony A.

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
So went to my lfs and almost bought a 12in black arowana for 350.....but had to hold off due to bills and didnt know if the price is worth it if someone can chime in on it??

Also added some pothos plants.....

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Did I miss it but how big is your tank are you planing to have all of the bass and aro's in .?
And the cat fish's.
All of that stock needs a really big tank and a 200gl . will not be enough . maybe 2000.gl. But 200 no. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: skjl47

ninjastar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Carson,ca
Right now its 7 azul and 2 kelberi ranging from 2-4in in a 200gal tank. Im currently debating on making a big tank outside to be viewed right next to the dinning area or buying a 300-500gal tank in the living room but I need to add supports to the floor board if I do.

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
And the ray's . Had to read back, sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store