Apr 27, 2018
So dang beautiful. NGTs are by far my favorite

Reactions: headbanger_jib

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Not too familiar with all the different species of dats but I do love that one in the group with the vibrant yellow and black. Looks just gorgeous compared to the others in with it. What size tank would ya have to have just to house a single one? Also what specie is that vibrant one if ya don't mind me asking?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Not too familiar with all the different species of dats but I do love that one in the group with the vibrant yellow and black. Looks just gorgeous compared to the others in with it. What size tank would ya have to have just to house a single one? Also what specie is that vibrant one if ya don't mind me asking?
Datnoides campbelli

They grow big, but very slow growing species, need spacious tanks to avoid any trauma due to sudden movement as they're a skittish specie

A 90gallon would be a bare minimum

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Datnoides campbelli

They grow big, but very slow growing species, need spacious tanks to avoid any trauma due to sudden movement as they're a skittish specie

A 90gallon would be a bare minimum
Lol so nothing like my giant gourami I had a couple years ago. Grew from the size of a quarter to 14in in 8 months, also was a major bully. But yeah that dat you got there is just absurdly beautiful, never seen one with such bright colors. Don't get to see many for sale around here and when I do it's just this tiny lil fish with a gray color with darker gray stripes. They'd probably look a bit better if they weren't crammed into a 10 gal with baby dovii and red devil's.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Lol so nothing like my giant gourami I had a couple years ago. Grew from the size of a quarter to 14in in 8 months, also was a major bully. But yeah that dat you got there is just absurdly beautiful, never seen one with such bright colors. Don't get to see many for sale around here and when I do it's just this tiny lil fish with a gray color with darker gray stripes. They'd probably look a bit better if they weren't crammed into a 10 gal with baby dovii and red devil's.
Dats are a different kind of monster fish. They’re very hard to keep happy long term as they’re very shy/picky most of the time so when grown big in an aquarium it shows the owner has a high level of care and patience. Literally getting some to even destress from a situation cichlids wouldn’t flinch from can take months

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Dats are a different kind of monster fish. They’re very hard to keep happy long term as they’re very shy/picky most of the time so when grown big in an aquarium it shows the owner has a high level of care and patience. Literally getting some to even destress from a situation cichlids wouldn’t flinch from can take months
Yeah I'd atleast want to have a massive tank setup before I thought about getting one. Doubt they would like the high PH around here tho, usually comes out around 8.7-9. The PH around here really limits me on what I can keep happy and healthy. I've also been told by my lfs that they can be kind of cowards when it comes to tank mate aggression, any truth to that at all?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah I'd atleast want to have a massive tank setup before I thought about getting one. Doubt they would like the high PH around here tho, usually comes out around 8.7-9. The PH around here really limits me on what I can keep happy and healthy. I've also been told by my lfs that they can be kind of cowards when it comes to tank mate aggression, any truth to that at all?
They’re definitely cowardd towards everythin that could nip a fin. Over time (months or even years) they can become like puppies as long as theyve learned they’re 150% sure they’re safe. Such as following you around the room, greeting you, eating from your hand, acting genuinely happy if you stand nearby so they’re very smart. They are breathtaking though when big and command respect, in theory and in price... a large high quality one will go for $1500, I’ve even seen $2100 in all honesty their expert level requirements are a big portion of what make them so sought after, it’s like saying you can tame the most finicky of fish. but also because of their amazing patterns which varries slightly by species

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
my NGT took three years before he even ate any thing that wasn't alive, mostly ghost shrimp, fish and earthworms.

Now he eats anything that's dropped in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store