Upgrading redtail tank

VesperT01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
My redtails are growing and are about to be too much for the 75 gallon. Im on a budget, so Instead of an aquarium Im looking at getting a large pong tub.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-275-Gallon-Black-High-Density-Polyethylene-Pond-Liner/4165521

But it would have to be inside and on the floor. And im worried about setting it on a flat floor, because they're meant for dirt on the ground outside. 275 gallons of water held up by 40 mm plastic? Maybe if i got bricks for around it or something like that?

Does anyone have experience with these? Or just any input on it is appreciated :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My redtails are growing and are about to be too much for the 75 gallon. Im on a budget, so Instead of an aquarium Im looking at getting a large pong tub.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-275-Gallon-Black-High-Density-Polyethylene-Pond-Liner/4165521

But it would have to be inside and on the floor. And im worried about setting it on a flat floor, because they're meant for dirt on the ground outside. 275 gallons of water held up by 40 mm plastic? Maybe if i got bricks for around it or something like that?

Does anyone have experience with these? Or just any input on it is appreciated :)
C Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I have a round potable pre-formed pond made from Medium Density Polyethylene(MPDE). Its sits on the floor but its designed to be above ground standalone pond.

Mine is 240 gallons and I bought the smallest size they sell!! So this one specifically can hold a lot of water safely, as a standalone non-supported pond. The round shape is also way more stable than rectangular ones or odd shapes because the water pressure is distributed equally. Plus the fish love a round pond :) It's the best thing I did for my fish. They really love it.

Also, its important if its plastic, it is MPDE. The HPDE(high density) are more brittle based on my research and is only suitable for smaller uses. Pond liners for underground use are made from HPDE, hence they need support. Mine comes with a 10 year guarantee and when I asked if its ok to use indoors, the seller said that indoors they have indefinite life time because the only issue with MPDE long term is direct UV lights.n indoor pond doesn't get much sun light at all. Check out youtube and do a bit of research. You can basically drive a trolley against a MPDE pond and not break it. They're designed for industrial heavy duty use.

:) One is not supposed to put any support around it, on the contrary, it should be allowed to expand naturally. Mind you, any expansion mine has is not visible to the naked eye. It's extremely sturdy and does not bulge one bit when full to the top. For aesthetics you can put whatever you want around it but some space should be allowed around it...

I'd look around if I were you and choose something different. If you can find fiber glass round ponds, even better. I am not particularly fond of the one you've chosen above.

There's some pics, videos of mine below since it was first set up:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-round-plastic-pond-240g-polyehtylene.675312/

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Liner means it is not self-supporting. It will crumble under water pressure if used in the above-ground fashion.

You'd be better off getting a 300 gal rubbermade stock pond (used for watering cattle for instance) from Tractor supply or other country store. Roughly the same price too.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So something like this would be much better?
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/105/610-gallon-green-poly-round-stock-tank-arm-10139

Also how should I go about the filtration?
Sure. And bigger is better! But keep in mind this one is 8' diameter - won't fit through a standard 7' tall door; garage is fine or perhaps a real wide sliding patio door, etc.

Also, shipping such bulky items gets expensive. That's why, considering shipping, one may be better off finding something at their local country store. Or do Craigslist. For instance a used water storage tank - you can cut off the top and have a stock pond.

For filtration - there is a myriad of options. Look through the DIY section. Look through YouTube, etc. You will get a hundred of ideas. One is to get a plastic 55 gal drum or two, some pipe, a nice pump - for that 600 gal trough I'd get a pump with at least 5000 GPH, given a huge potential bioload of two RTC, e.g. Aquasurge 5000, 360 W, ~$400, I have 20 of these and I am buying 10 more at the moment actually. Make a shower-like filter in the drums with nylon mesh pot scrubbers for media, for instance.

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Sure. And bigger is better! But keep in mind this one is 8' diameter - won't fit through a standard 7' tall door; garage is fine or perhaps a real wide sliding patio door, etc.

Also, shipping such bulky items gets expensive. That's why, considering shipping, one may be better off finding something at their local country store. Or do Craigslist. For instance a used water storage tank - you can cut off the top and have a stock pond.

For filtration - there is a myriad of options. Look through the DIY section. Look through YouTube, etc. You will get a hundred of ideas. One is to get a plastic 55 gal drum or two, some pipe, a nice pump - for that 600 gal trough I'd get a pump with at least 5000 GPH, given a huge potential bioload of two RTC, e.g. Aquasurge 5000, 360 W, ~$400, I have 20 of these and I am buying 10 more at the moment actually. Make a shower-like filter in the drums with nylon mesh pot scrubbers for media, for instance.
Do you have any recommendations on heating a pond of this size? I've done Koi ponds with DIY filters so I think I'm good there. However, I would like to do a DIY pond or Plywood but I'm kind of stuck on heating. I see you're in Florida so you might not even have to worry about heating, but if you do, what's the best, cheapest, most effective to do it? Also, in your opinion, how long could I keep my TSNxRTC in one of the 8 foot 600 gallon ponds? I've also seen the larger 10 foot ones

Not trying to hijack your thread OP. I just happen to be in the same boat as you. I'll take my questions to the PM system if need be

VesperT01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
Do you have any recommendations on heating a pond of this size? I've done Koi ponds with DIY filters so I think I'm good there. However, I would like to do a DIY pond or Plywood but I'm kind of stuck on heating. I see you're in Florida so you might not even have to worry about heating, but if you do, what's the best, cheapest, most effective to do it? Also, in your opinion, how long could I keep my TSNxRTC in one of the 8 foot 600 gallon ponds? I've also seen the larger 10 foot ones

Not trying to hijack your thread OP. I just happen to be in the same boat as you. I'll take my questions to the PM system if need be
I was actually wondering the same thing with heating and the substrate as well.
I want to get a pond liner to put inside of the 300 gal Rubbermaid as a safety precaution, and im wondering with putting sand in the tank. Ive never used sand but it seems like a lengthy process to clean, and sense its a 300 gal Rubbermaid I cant see what im doing very well.

In my 40gal with 2 bullhead kitties theres no substrate, just some big rocks and i only have a 40 gal in tank filter.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
You wont need that much sand. A very thin layer is best...just enough to cover the bottom. A 300 gallon is easily heated with a couple 300w heaters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store