urgent plumbing help!!!

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I've just drained old tank n filled new one but bulkheads are leaking!

can some look at the pics and tell me whether they are in the right way round, they are strange ones where one side is a smooth slip fit and the other has a screw and seals onto the pipe.

the water is leaking through the gap between drain pipe and into the bulkhead itself in the top of tank so weir isn't filling up.

Am I supposed to solvent seal the drain and return pipes to the bulkhead inside the tank, it is that supposed to be underneath and the screw part I side the tank.

thanks in advance I'm really screwing

WP_20170516_20_28_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20170516_20_28_30_Pro.jpg

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Looks to me like your seal for the bulkhead is on the bottom of the tank and not on the inside of the overflow
There is a rubber o ring inside tank so is water tight.

It's leaking down the inside of the pipe itself, as I haven't glued the pipes inside tank as have never normally, but they are really loose in the bulkhead fitting inside the weir. As in there's gaps between the outer wall of pipe and inner wall of bulkhead. so water is going between the pipes themselves and the bulkhead and drawing down through the pipes meaning the weir won't fill?

Reactions: millerkid519

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
So basically am I supposed to solvent weld the smooth end?

And if so, which end should this be, either the in tank ( wet) side, or under tank (dry) side? :/

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
So basically am I supposed to solvent weld the smooth end?

And if so, which end should this be, either the in tank ( wet) side, or under tank (dry) side? :/
Yes solvent weld the pieces. Anything slip (smooth and not threaded) requires solvent. The threaded ends should have plumbers tape applied as well. Anything water tirght either needs thread tape or solvent weld dependent upon which type fitting it is.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Yes solvent weld the pieces. Anything slip (smooth and not threaded) requires solvent. The threaded ends should have plumbers tape applied as well. Anything water tirght either needs thread tape or solvent weld dependent upon which type fitting it is.
Thanks,

It is only as my last tank was slip inside weir but very tight so didn't require solvent in the weir.

Should I leave it the way it is, and solvent the pipes inside the weir, or spin the bulkhead around and solvent those under the tank?

Thanks

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks,

It is only as my last tank was slip inside weir but very tight so didn't require solvent in the weir.

Should I leave it the way it is, and solvent the pipes inside the weir, or spin the bulkhead around and solvent those under the tank?

Thanks
Solvent only goes from slip pipe to slip pipe so inside Never to tank surfaces etc. lots of info on YouTube if you want to dig through some how to's.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Solvent only goes from slip pipe to slip pipe so inside Never to tank surfaces etc. lots of info on YouTube if you want to dig through some how to's.
Thanks.

Yeah I'm happy with how to solvent them as have for the rest of the plumbing, was just unsure with this bulkhead as the other end has a screw and a washer.

I reckon I'll solvent weld some short pipes to each bulkhead in the weir with a coupler on top of each one, then can easily add on the rest of the pipe and remove more easily if needed and trim down etc.

Cheers for your help

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks.

Yeah I'm happy with how to solvent them as have for the rest of the plumbing, was just unsure with this bulkhead as the other end has a screw and a washer.

I reckon I'll solvent weld some short pipes to each bulkhead in the weir with a coupler on top of each one, then can easily add on the rest of the pipe and remove more easily if needed and trim down etc.

Cheers for your help
Are you sure you have the right size pipe work?
You should not have water leaking between the outside of the pipe and the inside of the bulkhead?
But I have never used these slip type ones so could be wrong.
Don't solvent weld the screw thread as you will never get it apart again if you ever need to.
Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store